Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unidirectional to Bidirectional Communications

Gurus,
    Can one of you help me in understanding the exact difference between Unidirectional and Bidirectional Communications.

What is recommended in what scenario.

Thanks,
    YA

There's a short description of the difference in the HQ documentation: http://support.hyperic.com/display/D...Communications

In unidirectional mode, the agent will not accept incoming requests from the server -- it initiates all communication with the server. This is arguably more secure as it prevents a malicious user from connecting to agent and impersonating the server. However, if an attacker as gain access to your network such that they can talk to the agent then you may well have bigger things to worry about. A downside of unidirectional communication is that the agent has to poll the server to find out if there's any work for it to perform. This introduces a small performance overhead.

Comment

Andy,
      Thank you for the response. I have gone through the mentioned documention. It doesn't give the specifics, I am looking for.

As you pointed out agent polling, what scenarios demand for an agent to poll the server.

I am trying to understand (other than restricted access) what features I would loose if I configure Unidirectional communication over the other.

Thanks,
      YA

Comment

The agent will always have to poll the server when it's configured to use uni-directional communication. This is necessary to allow it to determine if that's any work for it to perform, e.g. running a control action against a resource which it's monitoring.

You shouldn't lose any functionality by enabling uni-directional communication.

Comment

Thank you.. Andy. I would appreciate if you can look at my other post on LDAP configuration. http://forum.springsource.org/showthread.php?t=100704

We are using tc Server Enterprise edition (vFabric Hyperic) 4.5

Comment

The LDAP configuration's not something that I'm familiar with. I'll ask my colleagues on the Hyperic team if they can take a look.

Comment

Working...
            X