X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HQ-server can't find the tc Runtime instance

I have already created and started a tc Runtime instance, but the hq-server can't find it. In hq-server's log, I found a message like this:

2010-07-19 10:26:31,500 ERROR [Thread-22] [org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.server.session.Autoin ventoryManagerEJBImpl@741] Ignoring non-existent server type: SpringSource tc Runtime 6.0
    javax.ejb.FinderException: name not found: SpringSource tc Runtime 6.0

Does anyone can help me?

Thanks

ps:I use the springsource-tc-server-node-2.0.2.RELEASE.zip and hyperic-hq-installer-4.3.0-1443-win32.zip

I believe the issue is that the HQ server (HQ 4.3 EE) does not have the tcServer plugin installed. The Agent you are running from the tcServer node bundle has the plugin, and it finds the tcServer runtime instance, but when the Agent reports back to the HQ server that it has found the tcServer, the HQ server doesn't know what to do with it because the HQ server lacks the plugin. It does not recognize the resource type.

This is a known defect[1] and we hope to remedy it in future versions. Today you need to manually install the tcServer plugin into the HQ server. Then the HQ server will recognize and add the tcServer instances into inventory along with the other monitored resources.

- Dan Carwin
    [1]the HQ 4.3 server is shipped without the tcServer plugin

Comment

Thanks for your reply!
      But I couldn't find the springsource-tc-server-hq-plugin-server-2.X.X.zip in google.
      Can you give me a link?
      Originally posted by dcarwin View Post
      I believe the issue is that the HQ server (HQ 4.3 EE) does not have the tcServer plugin installed. The Agent you are running from the tcServer node bundle has the plugin, and it finds the tcServer runtime instance, but when the Agent reports back to the HQ server that it has found the tcServer, the HQ server doesn't know what to do with it because the HQ server lacks the plugin. It does not recognize the resource type.

This is a known defect[1] and we hope to remedy it in future versions. Today you need to manually install the tcServer plugin into the HQ server. Then the HQ server will recognize and add the tcServer instances into inventory along with the other monitored resources.

- Dan Carwin
      [1]the HQ 4.3 server is shipped without the tcServer plugin

Comment

It is here: (after the form fill-out)

http://www.springsource.com/products...-server-spring

After you get to the next screen, look for this text:

"For those users that already have Hyperic HQ installed:
        The Hyperic HQ Server side plugin for tc Server can be downloaded separately at:"

and follow that link to get the plugin.

The instructions for installing the plugin into HQ are here:

http://static.springsource.com/proje...tml#upgrade-hq

Let me know if you hit any snags.

Dan Carwin

Comment

Thanks to your help,the HQ server can recognize the tcServer now.
          My gratitude beyond words~

Comment

We have Hyperic 4.2.0.7EE and it came with the plugin for tcServer runtime instance. Was this something that is specific to 4.3? That version is newer than ours and before we upgrade I just want to make sure.

Comment

There are two distros of HQ. The 4.2 distro that comes with tcServer has the tcServer plugin. The standalone (4.3 or 4.4) HQ EE distro does not. You can add the tcServer plugin into the HQ EE distros if you need to manage tcServer as well as other resources with HQ.

When you upgrade HQ (that has tcServer plugin) from 4.2 to 4.3 or 4.4 your tcServer plugin should remain in place and be there after the upgrade. Please let me know if this isn't the case.

Comment

Ok that makes more sense. We actually had a SpringSource consultant setup our environment for the first time and he had us download the 4.2 bundle with tcServer. Under our licensed downloads area, I only see links for Hyperic 4.2. How can we upgrade if we want to?

Comment

If you are licensed for tcServer, stick with the 4.2. If you want 4.3 or 4.4 you need to have a license for HQ EE. Typically this is because you want to monitor something other than tcServer.

You contact your salesperson and let them know how many platforms you want to monitor with HQ (in addition to the ones you already have licensed for tcServer). Then you will get access to the HQ EE downloads (and license key) and you can upgrade the whole environment to 4.3 or 4.4. [Example: We have X CPUs running tcServer, we'd also like to monitor these Y platforms which are running databases, message brokers, etc.]

If you are just monitoring tcServer, you are fine to stay on 4.2. (per engineering / product management recommendation)

Hope that helps,
                  Dan

Comment

Dan, thanks so much for clarification. We only use Hyperic for monitoring tcServer and deploying apps to it etc. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some new cool features that we were missing out on. Side note, are you on the SpringSource helpdesk team as well? I was just working a ticket with a Dan this week regarding issues while trying to push configurations changes down to the server.xml file.

Comment

That's Dan Mikusa on the support team. I am an SE, though I did work support in years past.

Comment

I must give it to them. Every single snag we have hit has been easily and quickly rectified by the support team. We used to have Websphere with support from "Big Blue" but they were never one-tenth as helpful or responsive as the SpringSource support team. A big thanks for digging us out of many seemingly dead-end issues.

Comment

Great, good thing someone have started this thread, I do have the same problem and reading some responses have help me understand to resolve the issue regarding runtime instance.

Comment

Working...
                          X