X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omission in Reference Manual - Getting Started

When I tried following the directions to download and install tc Server (Developer Edition) I noticed there is a step missing, at least for Windows XP. See http://static.springsource.com/proje...eloper-edition

Step 4 says to unzip or untar the tc Server distribution file into the new directory. So far so good.

Step 5 says to traverse to the directory and execute tcruntime-ctl.sh|bat spring-insight-instance start, but it has not yet been installed as a Windows service, so "start" does not work. "Run" does work; so does first an "install" and then a "start".

Technically, the documentation uses the Unix version as "an example" without providing a corresponding "Windows example", so the documentation could be technically correct, without actually being useful to me. But since this is the very first thing a developer is going to do when he experiments with Spring for the first time, it would be good to document the steps, even for Windows users.

Also, I notice the Quick Start is for the Standard Version, but I figured maybe the Developer Version was for developers, so I got that one instead.

Hi, morenus.

Thanks for your feedback. You are correct: we tend to favor Unix in our doc examples and thus sometimes fail to include the equivalent Windows example. I realize this is particularly frustrating when the Windows step is unique to the platform, as when installing Windows Services in the section to which you refer.

I've updated the docs with your suggestions; see http://static.springsource.com/proje...eloper-edition .

I think my update addresses your concern, but let me know if not.

Cheers!

Juliet Shackell

Comment

Working...
    X