Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tc server appllication logs

Hello,

Can anybody please guide me where to locate the application logs in tcserver?

Thanks
    Shanthi

Will someone PLEASE answer this most basic of questions? I've trying to find these myself (STS 2.6.0 on OS X).

Thanks!

Comment

It entirely depends upon your application's logging configuration. By default, on non-Windows platforms, tc Server will capture System.out and System.err output into a file named catalina.out. Any output written by your application using a logging framework will be written to the location dictated by the application's logging configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
        It entirely depends upon your application's logging configuration. By default, on non-Windows platforms, tc Server will capture System.out and System.err output into a file named catalina.out. Any output written by your application using a logging framework will be written to the location dictated by the application's logging configuration.
        Thanks this I understand, but I cannot locate the /logs folder where Tomcat normally dumps its logs to. I installed the STS off my home directory (Mac OS X) and I found that my .war files are being deployed to ~/STS/springsource/tc-server-developer-2.1.1-RELEASE/spring-insight-instance/webapps. The parent of this folder has the usual /conf folder you'd see in the root Tomcat directory, but there is no /logs folder with the standard catalina.out, etc.

My web service app doesn't do any logging, but normally you'll see some files in /logs that contain diagnostics from Tomcat itself when apps are deployed/un-deployed, or failures to init etc.

Where is the /logs folder on the filesystem?

Thanks!

-Jeff

Comment

The location of the logs folder is relative to Tomcat's CATALINA_BASE. When launched in STS, WTP controls the value assigned to CATALINA_BASE. You can see it (and configure it) in the Server Locations section of the editor for the server's configuration. You can open this editor by double-clicking the server in the Servers view. By default, the location is nested within your workspace. In my case it's <workspace-dir>/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.wst.server.core/tmp0.

Comment

Thanks Andy, that's exactly what I needed to know!

-Jeff

Comment

Beautiful reply from Andy and it is appreciated.

But I'm still not running :-) My Server Location pane displays a message: Server must be published with no modules present to make changes.

Is it because I'm running my server with Spring Insight activated ?

I also cannot find the location of my log file...

Kind Regards,

Stephane Eybert

Comment

The catalina.out log file under my server instance does not show nothing.

cd vfabric-tc-server-developer-2.9.3.RELEASE/base-insight;

tail -300f logs/catalina.out

No logging here.

Comment

Working...
                X