X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tc Server Developer Edition Management

I am trying to do some management of a tc Server Developer edition and noticed that the only reference is to use AMS. It looks like AMS is not available as a development edition. I liked the management tool that tomcat has by default by showing the installed web applications and their URL's along with being able to deploy / undeploy. Is there something similar available for the tc Server?

This is one of the last hurdles I am having to get the company I am working at to possibly adopt using tc Server's.

Hi Shawn,

The Dev edition of tcServer does not come with remote management, as it's designed to sit on the developer's desktop. The production editions do feature remote management and configuration. The production tcServer comes bundled with AMS (Hyperic HQ) which provides the application management you describe, as well as detailed performance monitoring and alerting.

In the production editions of tcServer we include the Tomcat Manager application which is the one you describe that comes with ASF Tomcat. When you create run time instances of tcServer you will find that by default the Manager application is not enabled. We disable it on purpose for security reasons. [Deploying an application via HTTP creates vulnerabilities]. However the manager app is present in the bundle and can be easily deployed if you do not have these security concerns. Just find the manager app inside the /webapps directory of the included ASF instance and copy it into the /webapps directory of the instance you create.

If you are promoting tcServer within your company I would encourage you to try an eval download of the production tcServer bundle to see how the monitoring, configuration, and management are all laid out. This goes far beyond what is present in the developer edition.

Regards,
    Dan

Comment

Working...
    X