X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tc Server on Ubuntu?

I realize Ubuntu isn't one of the officially supported platforms, but I was hoping that someone in the community might have figured out how to get it running there. The server is not for deployment - only prototyping and training.

When I run the install for tcServer-6.0.20.C-GA-devedition-PREVIEW, I get this:

=== Welcome to the SpringSource tc Server Installer ===
    For: Linux (2.6.28-11-generic) / i386 [linux32-x86]
    ================================================== =====

First of all, we will be checking that you have the required
    dependencies to proceed...

Checking for installation as non-root... Dependency verified.
    Checking for writable directory... Dependency verified.
    Checking for compatible JVM... running Java6.
    Checking for java executable... !! Error !!
    Your version of java cannot be found or is not compatible!
    null
    I've tried it with java 5 and 6 but it never gets any further than this. I'm guessing it is looking for jars in some "standard" location that is different from Ubuntu's "standard" location.

Am I just out of luck? Can I relocate my java installation to make this work? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks...Eric

Eric,

I have tc running on Ubuntu. One quirk is that you need to have your java 5 or 6 at the front of the execution path. So even if java 5 or 6 is "in" your path, it may be that some other system java is what gets called when the script calls "java".

So when you add the java 6 to the path, add it to the front.

export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:${PATH}

Hope that helps, let us know if not.
    Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dcarwin View Post
      Eric,

I have tc running on Ubuntu. One quirk is that you need to have your java 5 or 6 at the front of the execution path. So even if java 5 or 6 is "in" your path, it may be that some other system java is what gets called when the script calls "java".

So when you add the java 6 to the path, add it to the front.

export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:${PATH}

Hope that helps, let us know if not.
      Dan
      Thanks for the tip, but I tried that and got no change in the result. I wish the install program was a little more chatty about what it was looking for. It seems like it must be missing something minor since the running installer is a java program itself.

BTW, this is the developer preview version of the tc server install package. I can't believe it would affect the installer's ability to find the java jars, but you never know.

I guess I'm looking for more ideas about what is going wrong here.

--Eric

Comment

OK Eric, i will see if I can talk one of the folks who works on the dev bundle into looking at this for you.

-Dan

Comment

The script looks to see if 'java -jar' is supported and available. So the error means that either it cannot find 'java' in your path or that the user does not have read/write permissions on the test jarfile (and directory) that the installer uses to test 'java -jar' with (it tries 'java -jar ./test.sfx.jar')

Comment

Mystery Resolved!

Originally posted by JimJagielski View Post
            The script looks to see if 'java -jar' is supported and available. So the error means that either it cannot find 'java' in your path or that the user does not have read/write permissions on the test jarfile (and directory) that the installer uses to test 'java -jar' with (it tries 'java -jar ./test.sfx.jar')
            Thanks for the info - I finally figured out what the problem was.

The first time I ran the installer, I did so as root. The install process warned me against doing this, so I quit the installer and ran as myself. Here's the catch - when I ran as root (the first time) it wrote a file (SPRINGSOURCE_PULA.txt) to my directory as root. As a result, when I later ran the installer as myself, it could not overwrite that file because the file was owned by root. The error message, therefore, was completely misleading.

Strangely enough, the output from 'java -jar ./test.sfx.jar' gave me a very good error message. In fact, I probably could have diagnosed this myself if that error had been shown instead of the business about not finding/incompatible java.

Hopefully no one else will stumble into this problem. Just in case, I wanted to document the situation here just in case someone comes looking.

Thanks...Eric

Comment

Working...
            X