• GNUtar Problems on AIX 5.3

Hello,
    When I attempt to install tcServer, I get the following error on AIX 5.3:

Checking for compatible tar...
    - Looking for GNUtar... not found
    - Looking for compatible tar... not found
    - Looking for gunzip|tar compatibility... not found
    !! Error !!
    Your version of tar cannot be found or is not compatible!
    We require a GNU-compatible version of tar that handles long
    links and compressed tarballs. We are using the following PATH:

I have gunzip and tar available and both are in my PATH. I can manually use these to extract tgz files, so I'm not sure why the install is not seeing gunzip/tar as valid.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Hi J,

The tarball contains long filenames which some standard tar utilities cannot unpack properly. That is why there is a dependency on a tar utility that supports long file names (e.g. gtar).

I am not an expert here, but I don't think the AIX-included tar supports long file names, and thus you need to bring in gtar.

Regards,
    Dan Carwin

Comment

To add an option - you can upack the bundle on a different box if you want, and then copy it over.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.

The strange thing is that it seems to support gunzip|tar, which I have on my box (I can manually extract the tgz for example).

The install process is interactive, so I guess I could go through the process on another box, tar it up and ftp it, but I am really looking to solve this problem in a simpler way as I have to roll it out to many boxes.

I guess gtar is my best bet...I just wish I knew why it was saying "Looking for gunzip|tar compatibility... not found" when I believe I already have this available on all boxes.

Jim

Comment

Working...
        X