X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import 2nd tcServer installation into AMS

I have tcServer installed on windows and a separate install on unix.

i can view the server info from the unix AMS console. How can i import the windows tcserver info as well into the Unix AMS console. so that i can have all the server info in one place.

I tried using the 'New Platform' screen but am not able to select any 'Platform Type' drop down, as i have this empty?

Is there another way to get to this?

Thanks

Originally posted by paulstadler View Post
    I have tcServer installed on windows and a separate install on unix.

i can view the server info from the unix AMS console. How can i import the windows tcserver info as well into the Unix AMS console. so that i can have all the server info in one place.

I tried using the 'New Platform' screen but am not able to select any 'Platform Type' drop down, as i have this empty?

Is there another way to get to this?

Thanks
    Hi Paul,

You just need to install the AMS agent on the windows system and point the agent to the AMS server running on unix. The agent will pick up the windows tc Server and it will show up in the Auto-discovery portlet on the dashboard screen.

-Jason

Comment

Hi Jason

I have already installed it on windows. Is there any prop file that i need to change to reflect the unix ip/port? is it agent.properties under the agent folder?

I dont see any prop that i can change.

Are u referring to the commented ones?

#agent.setup.agentIP=*default*
      #agent.setup.agentPort=*default*

not sure what these are for

#agent.setup.camIP=localhost
      #agent.setup.camPort=7080

or should i be setting

agent.listenIp
      agent.listenPort

thanks

Comment

Hi Jason

I have already installed it on windows. Is there any prop file that i need to change to reflect the unix ip/port? is it agent.properties under the agent folder?

I dont see any prop that i can change.

Are u referring to the commented ones?

#agent.setup.agentIP=*default*
        #agent.setup.agentPort=*default*

not sure what these are for

#agent.setup.camIP=localhost
        #agent.setup.camPort=7080

or should i be setting

agent.listenIp
        agent.listenPort

thanks
        Paul,

When you installed the agent on windows and ran the agent the first time (Must be run from the command line), it should prompt you for setup criteria (ports, user, etc.). If you run the agent from the service manager, you will not see the setup prompts and it will not register correctly.

-Jason

Comment

Jason

Thanks for the clarification. So there is no way to pull an existing server into AMS. We need to reinstall the agent.

Thanks

Comment

Jason

Thanks for the clarification. So there is no way to pull an existing server into AMS. We need to reinstall the agent.

Thanks
            Paul,

Not sure what you mean by needing to reinstall the agent for an existing server.

You should not have to reinstall the agent ever. When the configured agent runs, at startup and polls every 15 mins (configurable in the agent.properties), it does a scan of the machine it is running, trying to discover all the "known" AMS applications that are running. It should be finding the tc Server you have previously installed, if it is running. If not, there might be another issue causing it not to be found.

-Jason

Comment

Jason

Probably i was not clear in telling my environment.

I have 2 environments
              - Linux
              - Windows XP

I have installed the full tcServer (AMS Server, Agent, tcServer) in both these boxes. Individually they are running fine. I can access the AMS console on both these boxes.

What i want to.....
              Use the AMS Server (and console) on linux as the one to monitor both these systems. Deploy apps to both of them. Basically use the one on linux for all admin and monitoring purposes.

So since the AMS Server (and the agent) is running in linux, what should i do (configuration) on the Windows side so that I can see the tcServer on Windows on the unix AMS console. I was under the impression that if i change a prop file (agent.props) and point the IP/port to the linux server, then restart the agent on windows. This way the AMS Server on linux can pickup the new server instance on windows.

Ultimately i am planning to cluster these 2 servers and use a LB.

Hope i am clear this time :-)

Thanks a lot for the help

Comment

Paul,

To reconfig the agent to point it to a different server:

1. stop the agent
                2. nuke the contents of the /data subdir under the agent
                3. Restart the agent (via the command line on windows) and it should ask you all the config questions
                4. answer the questions to point the agent to the AMS server of your choice

Hope that helps,
                Dan Carwin

Comment

Jason

Probably i was not clear in telling my environment.

I have 2 environments
                  - Linux
                  - Windows XP

I have installed the full tcServer (AMS Server, Agent, tcServer) in both these boxes. Individually they are running fine. I can access the AMS console on both these boxes.

What i want to.....
                  Use the AMS Server (and console) on linux as the one to monitor both these systems. Deploy apps to both of them. Basically use the one on linux for all admin and monitoring purposes.

So since the AMS Server (and the agent) is running in linux, what should i do (configuration) on the Windows side so that I can see the tcServer on Windows on the unix AMS console. I was under the impression that if i change a prop file (agent.props) and point the IP/port to the linux server, then restart the agent on windows. This way the AMS Server on linux can pickup the new server instance on windows.

Ultimately i am planning to cluster these 2 servers and use a LB.

Hope i am clear this time :-)

Thanks a lot for the help
                  Paul,

Ok, that is definitely possible and very simple.

You can't just change ports, because the agent needs to send authentication tokens to the server.

Since you already installed both AMS server and agent on both machines. Shutdown the AMS server and the agent on windows (you will not need the windows AMS server at all).

It sounds like you have configured the windows AMS agent to point to the windows AMS server. We need to re-configure it to point to the linux box.
                  Easiest way without reinstalling, is to remove the <agent-home>/data directory (this will cause the agent to ask you all the configuration questions again). Then start the agent from the command line. When it prompts you for the AMS server ip and port, put in the information for the linux AMS server.

Once it is configured, you should see the new platform and the tc Server listed in the Auto-discovery portlet on the dashboard.

-Jason

Comment

This is what i was looking for...Works great. Thanks Dan

Comment

This is what i was looking for...Works great.
                      Thanks Dan and Jason

Comment

Working...
                      X