Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused with product differences

Hi,

I haven't tried them yet, but what would be the relation/difference between HypericHQ, SpringSource tc Server and SpringSource AMS?

Regards,
    Thiago Souza

Hyperic/AMS Product Differences

Hi Thiago,
    Thanks for your question and interest.

AMS is a SpringSource product based on a Hyperic HQ 3.2.x base implementation. The base has been extended significantly beyond the Hyperic Tomcat monitoring/control plug-in to provide the management, control and distributed operations capabilities you see. In addition, tc Server provides a broader range of metrics on the app server than you get monitoring Apache Tomcat via Hyperic HQ.

Hyperic, as you may be aware, is now at the 4.x level on their Hyperic HQ and have made significant advances in functionality. It was already on our roadmap to upgrade the AMS base to Hyperic HQ 4.x to take advantage of those advances. As you can imagine, that upgrade will be an easier undertaking now that we're all together at SpringSource.

I am going to ask one of my new colleagues from Hyperic to reply to this thread to give you a proper overview of the differences going from Hyperic 3.2.x to 4.x so that you have an idea what to expect as we move tc Server AMS to a 4.x base.

Regards,
    Randy MacBlane
    Director of Engineering
    SpringSource

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for you reply. I do have a high interest in these products. We currently have a 9 servers datacenter, running different services like tomcats, sql servers, mysqls, jettys, java processes, etc... We are in need of a better monitoring solution and I can see that these products could definitely give us a great support, but first, I need to find a way to match our problems with the solutions that they provide.

Regards,
      Thiago Souza

Comment

I encourage you to download and try the evaluation copy of tc Server. In addition, you may want to download an eval of Hyperic HQ 4.1 so you can see the differences 1st hand.

Comment

Spring Source tc Server Editions

I am evaluating the tc Server Spring Edition and Hyperic 4.4, at the same time working on Spring Developer Edition too...

I require a bit more clarification on licensing (i.e. the components included ) differences between tc Server Standard Edition and tc Server Spring Edition.

Thanks in advance for clarification.
          YA

Comment

Working...
          X