X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tcserver installed in wrong location

Just downloaded tcserver. Installation of the AMS admin server and agent seems to have been successful, but when I try to install a tcserver instance, the instance is created on the wrong drive.

The run.bat file is in a folder on the D: drive, but during the installation process I specified C:\Program Files\tcserver as the location for the install. This seems to have been ignored and the instance has been created in the location where the run.bat file is running. The specified folder does exist and must be writable because that is where the AMS components have been created.

Continued with the installation, using the tcserver instance on the D: drive, but have been unable to start it and am getting the following error message in the log:
    Code:
    STATUS | wrapper  | 2009/04/30 15:53:32 | Starting the SpringSource tcServer - SSServer-841be service...
    STATUS | wrapper  | 2009/04/30 15:53:32 | --> Wrapper Started as Service
    STATUS | wrapper  | 2009/04/30 15:53:34 | Launching a JVM...
    FATAL  | wrapper  | 2009/04/30 15:53:34 | Unable to execute Java command.  The system cannot find the path specified. (0x3)
    FATAL  | wrapper  | 2009/04/30 15:53:34 |     "C:\Program\bin\java" "-Djava.endorsed.dirs=D:\tcserverInstall\tcserver-6.0.19.A-windows\tcServer-6.0\\tomcat-6.0.19.A\common\endorsed" "-Dcatalina.base=D:\tcserverInstall\tcserver-6.0.19.A-windows\tcServer-6.0\\SSServer" "-Dcatalina.home=D:\tcserverInstall\tcserver-6.0.19.A-windows\tcServer-6.0\\tomcat-6.0.19.A" "-Djava.io.tmpdir=D:\tcserverInstall\tcserver-6.0.19.A-windows\tcServer-6.0\\SSServer\temp" "-Djava.util.logging.manager=com.springsource.tcserver.serviceability.logging.TcServerLogManager" "-Djava.util.logging.config.file=D:\tcserverInstall\tcserver-6.0.19.A-windows\tcServer-6.0\\SSServer\conf\logging.properties" "-Dwrapper.dump.port=-1" -server -Xmx512m -Xss192k -Djava.library.path="D:\tcserverInstall\tcserver-6.0.19.A-windows\tcServer-6.0\\tomcat-6.0.19.A\bin\win32" -classpath "D:\tcserverInstall\tcserver-6.0.19.A-windows\tcServer-6.0\\tomcat-6.0.19.A\bin\win32\wrapper.jar;D:\tcserverInstall\tcserver-6.0.19.A-windows\tcServer-6.0\\tomcat-6.0.19.A\bin\bootstrap.jar;D:\tcserverInstall\tcserver-6.0.19.A-windows\tcServer-6.0\\tomcat-6.0.19.A\bin\win32\threaddumpwrapper.jar" -Dwrapper.key="4P7XKXRXK754tLgB" -Dwrapper.port=32000 -Dwrapper.jvm.port.min=31000 -Dwrapper.jvm.port.max=31999 -Dwrapper.pid=4008 -Dwrapper.version="3.2.0" -Dwrapper.native_library="wrapper" -Dwrapper.service="TRUE" -Dwrapper.cpu.timeout="10" -Dwrapper.jvmid=1 org.tanukisoftware.wrapper.WrapperSimpleApp net.covalent.tomcat.wrapper.ThreadDumpWrapper start
    FATAL  | wrapper  | 2009/04/30 15:53:34 | Critical error: wait for JVM process failed
    ERROR  | wrapper  | 2009/04/30 15:53:36 | The SpringSource tcServer - SSServer-841be service was launched, but failed to start.
    The script appears to be looking for something in C:\Program\bin\java which doesn't exist. The change in the setenv.bat file made was to add set JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_13.

The server is on Windows Server 2003 SP2.

Can anyone help me get this up and running?

Comment

Originally posted by bevr View Post
      Continued with the installation, using the tcserver instance on the D: drive, but have been unable to start it and am getting the following error message in the log:
      Code:
      STATUS | wrapper  | 2009/04/30 15:53:32 | Starting the SpringSource tcServer - SSServer-841be service...
      STATUS | wrapper  | 2009/04/30 15:53:32 | --> Wrapper Started as Service
      STATUS | wrapper  | 2009/04/30 15:53:34 | Launching a JVM...
      FATAL  | wrapper  | 2009/04/30 15:53:34 | Unable to execute Java command.  The system cannot find the path specified. (0x3)
      FATAL  | wrapper  | 2009/04/30 15:53:34 |     "C:\Program\bin\java" "-Djava.endorsed.dirs=D:\tcserverInstall\tcserver-6.0.19.A-windows\tcServer-6.0\\tomcat-6.0.19.A\common\endorsed" "-Dcatalina.base=D:\tcserverInstall\tcserver-6.0.19.A-windows\tcServer-6.0\\SSServer" "-Dcatalina.home=D:\tcserverInstall\tcserver-6.0.19.A-windows\tcServer-6.0\\tomcat-6.0.19.A" "-Djava.io.tmpdir=D:\tcserverInstall\tcserver-6.0.19.A-windows\tcServer-6.0\\SSServer\temp" "-Djava.util.logging.manager=com.springsource.tcserver.serviceability.logging.TcServerLogManager" "-Djava.util.logging.config.file=D:\tcserverInstall\tcserver-6.0.19.A-windows\tcServer-6.0\\SSServer\conf\logging.properties" "-Dwrapper.dump.port=-1" -server -Xmx512m -Xss192k -Djava.library.path="D:\tcserverInstall\tcserver-6.0.19.A-windows\tcServer-6.0\\tomcat-6.0.19.A\bin\win32" -classpath "D:\tcserverInstall\tcserver-6.0.19.A-windows\tcServer-6.0\\tomcat-6.0.19.A\bin\win32\wrapper.jar;D:\tcserverInstall\tcserver-6.0.19.A-windows\tcServer-6.0\\tomcat-6.0.19.A\bin\bootstrap.jar;D:\tcserverInstall\tcserver-6.0.19.A-windows\tcServer-6.0\\tomcat-6.0.19.A\bin\win32\threaddumpwrapper.jar" -Dwrapper.key="4P7XKXRXK754tLgB" -Dwrapper.port=32000 -Dwrapper.jvm.port.min=31000 -Dwrapper.jvm.port.max=31999 -Dwrapper.pid=4008 -Dwrapper.version="3.2.0" -Dwrapper.native_library="wrapper" -Dwrapper.service="TRUE" -Dwrapper.cpu.timeout="10" -Dwrapper.jvmid=1 org.tanukisoftware.wrapper.WrapperSimpleApp net.covalent.tomcat.wrapper.ThreadDumpWrapper start
      FATAL  | wrapper  | 2009/04/30 15:53:34 | Critical error: wait for JVM process failed
      ERROR  | wrapper  | 2009/04/30 15:53:36 | The SpringSource tcServer - SSServer-841be service was launched, but failed to start.
      The script appears to be looking for something in C:\Program\bin\java which doesn't exist. The change in the setenv.bat file made was to add set JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_13.

The server is on Windows Server 2003 SP2.

Can anyone help me get this up and running?
      Looks like the space between "Program Files" is causing your problem. Try putting double quotes around the JAVA_HOME variable value.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Jason. setenv.bat now reads set JAVA_HOME="C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_13" but this has made no difference. Log still shows it trying to find the non-existent path.

Comment

Java

Thanks for the suggestion Jason. setenv.bat now reads set JAVA_HOME="C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_13" but this has made no difference. Log still shows it trying to find the non-existent path.
          hi Bevr,
          Easiest thing is to open conf/wrapper.conf
          there is a line there

set.JAVA_HOME that is commented out, I would configure your settings there.

Comment

Excellent - thank you. When I looked in wrapper.conf in the directory structure of the SpringSource layout tcserver instance created, the line in there said set JAVA_HOME=C:\Program so it looks like there is a problem in the code creating the tcserver instances. Once I amended that to the correct path the server started successfully.

Comment

And now the AMS server seems to have the same issue. When I try and install the service, I get the error message 'C:\Program' is not recognised as an internal or external command.....

I've found various config files, but these all seem OK i.e. hq-server.conf and hq-server-install.conf have all picked up the full path to the JDK input during the installation process.

I've tried adding both JAVA_HOME and AMS_JAVA_HOME to the environment variables to give the path, but these don't help.

Does anybody have any idea where the offending config might be lurking?

Comment

And now the AMS server seems to have the same issue. When I try and install the service, I get the error message 'C:\Program' is not recognised as an internal or external command.....

I've found various config files, but these all seem OK i.e. hq-server.conf and hq-server-install.conf have all picked up the full path to the JDK input during the installation process.

I've tried adding both JAVA_HOME and AMS_JAVA_HOME to the environment variables to give the path, but these don't help.

Does anybody have any idea where the offending config might be lurking?
                This is a known issue to AMS, it will be fixed in next release.

You will need to open the ams-ctl.bat batch file and put quotes around anywhere you see.

"%AGENT_HOME%\ams-agent.exe"

This will be the same for ams-ctl.bat in the server bin, except it will be "%SERVER_HOME%\bin\ams-server.exe" .

Hope that helps,

Jason

Comment

Just downloaded tcserver. Installation of the AMS admin server and agent seems to have been successful, but when I try to install a tcserver instance, the instance is created on the wrong drive.

The run.bat file is in a folder on the D: drive, but during the installation process I specified C:\Program Files\tcserver as the location for the install. This seems to have been ignored and the instance has been created in the location where the run.bat file is running. The specified folder does exist and must be writable because that is where the AMS components have been created.
                  Hi bevr,
                  To go back to your original problem, I think you may have failed to put quotes around your install path. Any time you install into a path with spaces, you're going to need to wrap it in quotes.

-Dan

Comment

Thanks for your help, Jason. Finally got the AMS Server starting up and made the suggested changes in the AMS Agent bat file.

Had a slight further issue when starting up an agent for the first time because the script and some of the documentation says that the default AMS admin password is blank. However, other docs say correctly that it is the same as the username i.e. hqadmin.

So, I finally have a product to play with - thanks for the help.

dcarwin - I think you're probably right and at some stage I may go through the process again with the double quotes around the Java home path to see whether this solves all the problems. But, as C:\Program Files is given as the default path, it would be nice if the script reminded you that Windows needs double quotes around such paths.

Comment

Working...
                    X