X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I Deploy The Manager Application?

We use Hudson, Maven and some Gradle. In terms of CI, we want to be able to automatically deploy to tcServer. The tools we have in place already use the Apache Tomcat manager application (/manager) very nicely. Is it possible to install the standard manager application within tcServer to remote deployments via cargo, etc?

If not, what is the prescribed way for remotely deploying WARs and such to tcServer?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, it is. tc Server's runtime is 100% compatible with Apache Tomcat so you're free to use the manager application.

The alternative, if you're using Hyperic to monitor you tc Server runtime instances, is to use the tc Server CLI. One benefit of this approach over using the manager app is that you can deploy an application to a group of instances with a single call to the CLI.

Comment

@Andy...thank you!

Is there any success stories of pushing WARs to tcServer via a CI tool like Hudson or Jenkins?

Comment

Yeah, it's a fairly common practice. Unfortunately, I don't think I can share any specifics publically. You'll find a lot of material on the web related to deploying from CI to Tomcat, which is driving the same codepath as you will in tc Server.

If you're aiming towards a continuous deployment model, where you keep your tc Server runtime instances running all the time, the one thing to really watch for is that your app doesn't contain any memory leaks. There's a lot of great stuff in the latest versions for detecting application memory leaks. I'd recommend keeping an eye on the log files for any warning messages and spending some time in a profiler if anything crops up.

Comment

Working...
        X