X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request parameters not in command object

I'm wondering what the recommended method is for grabbing parameters from a form that are NOT part of the value/command object.

I have been using the following inside an Action class...

HttpServletRequest request = ServletEvent.getRequest( context.getSourceEvent() );
    int fooId = RequestUtils.getIntParameter( request, "fooId", 1 );

However, this does mean the code is now coupled to an HTTP request (which is no worse than it was previously in a Spring FormController).

Am I missing something? I checked the RequestScope and FormScope to see if all params were being dropped into a Map, but didn't find them. This is the case where I don't want to modify the value object for the form to introduce this parameter....

The way you're doing it is pretty much correct.

If you want to keep your actions (and the flow itself) independent of HttpServletRequest, consider doing it in a FlowExecutionListener. Those are easily pluggable, so you could plug in another listener if you're reusing your flow in other situation, e.g. for a Portlet.

Erwin

Comment

Hey now, there is no need to expose the servlet API here, nor should you!

You can just do this:
      Code:
      context.getSourceEvent().getParameter("foo");
      That will access the HTTP request parameters underneath the covers.

Keith

Comment

Ahhh, this is exactly what I was looking for (and hoping was there)!

Any chance for some utility functionality similar to RequestUtils (i.e. checking for required, setting defaults, casting to primitives)? Or is there a utility class that I'm overlooking?

Comment

Yes, actually. Perhaps you could get this integration started and maybe submit a JIRA enhancement with a patch :-)

If you take a look at Event, you'll see it's a AttributeSource. So is Scope, as well (anything in RequestScope or FlowScope). AttributeSource is a simple interface.

So it'd be straight forward to have:

int value = AttributeUtils.getIntAttribute(source, "myAttribute");

etc, etc...

like RequestUtils, but more flexible. You could use the Converter machinery to actually perform conversions underneath the covers. e.g:

Code:
          getIntAttribute(AttributeSource source, String attributeName, int defaultValue) {
              try {
                return ((Integer)converterFor(value.getClass(),
          Integer.class).convert(value)).intValue();
             } catch (ConversionException e) {
                return defaultValue;
             }
          }
          Keith

Comment

Working...
          X