Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Keith,

Thanks for sharing the roadmap.
    My team would like to use SpringFramework 3.0 as soon as possible and currently webflow is the only reason that make us stick with 2.5.
    So my question is: do you have any plan to make a release (not a milestone) of SWF that would rely on spring 3.0 dependencies without using all the new features there and without introducing new features?

Thanks for the amazing job done so far.
    Sincerely,
    Nicolas.

Comment

Nicolas,

Web Flow 3.0.0.M1 will give you exactly what you're looking for. It's scheduled for February. I'm anxious to get a version of Web Flow 3.0 designed for Spring 3 out as well.

Keith

Comment

Thanks a lot for the information Keith, I was dying to know some approximate release dates as I'm really looking forward to using Spring 3.0 many advantages, and as some have said, Web Flow was kind of slowing that process... The first milestone will certainly give us something to play/test looking forward to the mid-year release, awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by piedrahitac View Post
          Thanks a lot for the information Keith, I was dying to know some approximate release dates as I'm really looking forward to using Spring 3.0 many advantages, and as some have said, Web Flow was kind of slowing that process... The first milestone will certainly give us something to play/test looking forward to the mid-year release, awesome!
          This is not really true, at all. I have recently built a fairly large application using SWF 2.0.8 and Spring 3.0. The only restriction was that I had to register a separate old-style conversion service bean within the flow context, while using the new 3.0 conversion service for everything else. If you have been waiting for SWF 3 to use Spring 3.0, you have wasted a lot of time for nothing, really. Of course, now that SWF is - supposedly - around the corner, you might as well wait a bit more - if you are starting a new project.

Comment

Yeah, sure. Everything is as easy as you said.

There are some things that work with Spring 3 and swf 2, there are some things that can be hacked to work with Spring 3 and swf 2, but there are still some other things that don't work with spring 3 and swf 2 unless you really want to waste a lot of time fixing them. So don't tell people they are wasting their time, cause it is you who is wasting our time with such comments.

If you want to reply, before you do it, please let me know how can I get Spring 3, swf 2, tiles and ajax to work together. Thanks for your time.

Comment

Your tone is unacceptable. Frankly, I don't recall ever reading such an angry and obnoxious rant in this forum. You are not gaining any points with that. I am posting the following clarification for the sake of other people reading this thread.

I hear there may be issues using Ajax, specifically, in a Spring 3.0/SWF2.0.8 application. However I don't think it is fair and correct to make blanket statements that SWF2.0.8 is not compatible with Spring 3.0, because this may send many people who are not using Ajax on the wrong path. As I have said, I have recently built an application with very elaborate requirements, and currently finishing another one - using Spring 3.0, SWF 2.0.8, Spring Security 2.0.5 (only b/c I am using HttpInvoker remoting to integrate with a system that uses 2.0.5), JSP 2.1, JSTL 1.2, and Tiles 2.1.3. My applications do not have a requirement to use Ajax (in fact, the clients required that no business functionality should rely on JS, so I have been using JS for visual and usability enhancements only.) The integration has been virtually seamless. As I mentioned in the previous post, yes, SWF 2 can't take advantage of the new S3 conversion and formatting, so an explicitly defined conversion service is required. It is not an obstacle but rather a minor disappointment due to the inability to use one of the new S3 goodies. Nothing I needed to do required a hack or a work-around. I have been using S3 with SWF2 since the M1 release, and hadn't wasted a minute on trying to make things work. So, there you go, people... You have a testimony of someone who has actually built - and continues to build today - applications using Spring 3.0, SWF 2.0.8/Tiles, and someone who tried it with Ajax in the mix, and walked away frustrated and angry. That should give you a fuller picture, I guess...

Comment

Just one quick note.

I'm not frustrated nor angry. I just think, that telling people they are wasting their time, just because they prefer to stick to S2 and SWF2, well is a waste of time (and that's what I said). Imagine I tell you, you are wasting your time not using nightly builds, cause there are a lot of new features and bug fixes and everything works perfectly for me with only a little bean here and there.
                People who are waiting for swf3 are waiting cause they have a reason. And the main point in the thread is what's going on with swf3, since 3.0.0m1 due date was last wednesday. There are other post discussing how to integrate s3 and swf2.

And, i didn't walk away :P My application works with s3, swf2, tiles and ajax. But I'm really looking forward to using S3 with SWF3. That would allow me to remove a lot of xml and comments from my code, and some classes also.

And business functionality that relies on js? That's nonsense, nobody does that. But ui functionality that uses js to make user's experience smoother, well, that can be a must in some cases.

And there are 3 kinds of people: those who can count and those who can't. :P

Comment

Working...
                X