Move Remove Collapse
Conversation Detail Module
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Implementing a String trimming converter

Hi all,

I'd like to create a converter that basically calls String.trim() on String properties. With Spring MVC, this is achieved simply by registering a custom PropertyEditor which will automatically be applied to all Strings. I cannot see an equivalent in Web Flow, and I am wondering whether I am missing something.

I have tried subclassing the DefaultConversionService class to add custom converters, and while my other String -> Object converters work, my String -> String converter is never called.

I realise that I should be able to select a converter by ID if I specify all my bindings explicitly in my flow definition, but since I would then need to specify every one of my bindings, it seems like an awful amount of XML to achieve this.

Any pointers would be appreciated

Incidentally, in my DefaultConversionService subclass, I did try overriding the getConversionExecutor(Class, Class) method to avoid the logic in lines 132-134 of DefaultConversionService (the part that says that if the source and target classes are the same, then return a NoOpConverter). However, it appears that when this method is called, the relevant ConversionService implementation is actually an instance of GenericConversionService rather than any of its subclasses, so the overriden implementation is irrelevant.