X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redirects and Spring Web Flow

I have a flow where the end state may not be a traditional view but a dynamically determined (i.e. provided by user) url to redirect to. What would be the best way to handle that using the web flow?

Thanks
    -Scott

I have this same need :-)

Right now you can "redirect:toAView" easily but it's not easily dynamicall calculatable. We'll likely do something about this very soon -- if not PR3 definitely PR4 (or early access PR4.)

Comment

Thanks for the response...in the meantime do you recommend just doing response.sendRedirect ?

Also is there a roadmap somewhere for PR3 and PR4?

Thanks!
      -Scott

Comment

Not sure if I'd recommend that - as you're basically short circuiting the flow in that case. A option in the mean time is to use a custom View or End state--but that's notrivial from the xml flow builder, only from a java-based flow builder.

Comment

Can you help us out here and create a JIRA issue for this so it doesn't get lost?

Comment

I created a JIRA issue:

http://opensource.atlassian.com/proj...browse/SPR-931

Comment

I temporarily cheated to get this working:

I set the URL in the Request attributes and use a static forward to go to a controller who's purpose is to just generate a RedirectView from the provided URL. Probably not an optimal solution but for now it continues to let me work :-D

Comment

I've introduced a "ViewDescriptorCreator" strategy which gives you full control over the view name to be returned when a view state or end state is entered.

Now we're going to add new support into the XML dtd for common descriptor creator strategies. Obviously, a static view name strategy already exists ("SimpleViewDescriptorCreator").

So, something like:

Code:
                   <view-state id="myViewState" view="myStaticView"/>
                   <view-state id="myViewState" view-creator="samples.MyViewDescriptorCreator"/>
                   <view-state id="myViewState" redirect="myRedirectView?foo=$&#123;flowScope.foo&#125;"/>
                The latter would need to be recognized as an expression to be resolved by the creator implementation.

Comment

is this in CVS? I'll try it out later if it is.

Thanks
                  -Scott

Comment

As you probably already noticed basic support for this is now available in PR3.

Erwin

Comment

yep thanks...I've been using it since this morning...even asked a few questions already

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Donald
                        I've introduced a "ViewDescriptorCreator" strategy which gives you full control over the view name to be returned when a view state or end state is entered.

Now we're going to add new support into the XML dtd for common descriptor creator strategies. Obviously, a static view name strategy already exists ("SimpleViewDescriptorCreator").

So, something like:

Code:
                           <view-state id="myViewState" view="myStaticView"/>
                           <view-state id="myViewState" view-creator="samples.MyViewDescriptorCreator"/>
                           <view-state id="myViewState" redirect="myRedirectView?foo=${flowScope.foo}"/>
                        The latter would need to be recognized as an expression to be resolved by the creator implementation.

Keith, I am looking at the webflow xm DTD for PR5 and don't see view-creator or redirect attributes defined in the <view-state> xml node. Is it something that will only be available with RC1 or am I missing something?

Comment

Working...
                        X