Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back button handling and webflow production ready...

All,

I'm currently evaluating WebFlow as a base for my next project. Since it is financial application (taking loans) I wan't make it as secure as I can. In fact it consists of "wizard-like" flow with some minor exceptions (some parts of the flow should be ommited, based on decisions taken on previous screen. For instance if client has no wife, we just don't show screen regarding wife's financial situation etc.). Frankly speaking it could be implemented using Spring's Wizard Controller with little modifications. But, in the future, we want to reuse this flow for other clients, thus slighty different flows - it would be nice have reusable components. Thus some questions:

* Is it WebFlow mature enough to put it in production (2-3 moths)? I expect that till then WebFlow should be released?

* How can I avoid back-buttons, resubmissions etc. I mean I know continuations - but this is not an option in my case. I explicitly asking user not to use back/forward buttons. When user uses these buttons I just want catch that situation, completly discard current flow and show warning. It's possible and easy with spring's Wizard Controller. But can I handle this in web flow?

Artur

Artur,

Yes, web flow will have a production release with Spring 1.3 in the late June timeframe. Between now and then, we will have at least two more preview releases -- these are stable for development use. The offering is already quite mature.

Preview 3 will be next week, btw.

Regarding back button use: yes, it is easy to take a recovery action in response to a failure because of accidental browser navigational button use. People are doing this now: some are using the dispatcher servlet to route to an error page with a restart capability for the flows. Others are capturing the exception within the web flow system and 'rolling back' to the last view state of the flow. We expect to formalize our support and documentation for these types of common error handling strategies before the final release.

Web flow is a good fit for such an application, particularly if you need the reusability aspect and the sophisticated dynamic transition capabilities.

Hope this helps,

Keith

Comment

Hi Keith, is this release time-frame still accurate?

Thanks,
      Josh

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Back Button handling

Hello Keith,

I have seen your posting about Back Button handling:

Regarding back button use: yes, it is easy to take a recovery action in response to a failure because of accidental browser navigational button use. People are doing this now: some are using the dispatcher servlet to route to an error page with a restart capability for the flows. Others are capturing the exception within the web flow system and 'rolling back' to the last view state of the flow.

I have the same requirement too..
          Could you please explain little clear on how to handle this or can you point me to some documentation on how to do this.

My requirement is, when the user clicks browser's back button and tries to resubmit the page, we have to say that this submission is already done! as error message on some screen.

Thanks in advace
          Gautam

Comment

Back Button handling

As of December 2011, I believe Spring Web Flow does not still offer built-in elegant solution for handling Back Button. I have read some other post in which people still have to work around by defining filters to capture the exception, redirecting to a view with some JavaScript to handle the history, etc. I am frankly surprised there is not a built-in solution for this after all these years and the question that naturally arises is, will Spring Web Flow be handling Back Button seamlessly in the next releases?

Marco

Comment

Working...
            X