X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about this more...

I suspect what is happening is your StringToTitle converter is running when asked to format a Title Enum for display, but not running when doing the binding on form postback. I believe the reason is because the ConversionService used by the mapping Expression that calls your setTitle method is not your ApplicationConversionService, but rather a DefaultConversionService instance. You can confirm this by using a debugger to introspect the state of your ExpressionParser implementation.

If this is the case, the workaround you'll need to employ is to manually configure your ExpressionParser instance and wire it in as a flow-builder-service. If you are using Ognl, you'll need to configure an instance of WebflowOgnlExpressionParser; if using EL, you'll need to configure an instance of WebflowELExpressionParser. Both of those classes have a conversionService property.

In 2.0.4 we should do a couple of things: first, provide direct support for Java 5 enums in a generic fashion so you don't have to register your own specific converter; second, have the ConversionService used by the default ExpressionParser instances be the same one as you setup in your spring context.

Let me know if you are able to resolve your problem.

Keith

Comment

Yes I registered it. I also had some problems with the Expression Langauge. I had to add the com.springsource.org.jboss.el-2.0.0.GA.jar library.
      I changed the conversion service to

Code:
      @Component("conversionService")
      public class ApplicationConversionService extends DefaultConversionService {

@Override
          protected void addDefaultConverters() {
              super.addDefaultConverters();
              addConverter("title", new StringToTitle());
          }
      }
      and now my convertor gets added to the customConverter hashmap from the GenericConversionService, but when I try to load the form I still get

Code:
      org.springframework.binding.convert.ConversionExecutorNotFoundException: No ConversionExecutor found for converting from sourceClass [ro.billoo.app.entity.Title] to target class [java.lang.String]
      	org.springframework.binding.convert.service.GenericConversionService.getConversionExecutor(GenericConversionService.java:162)
      	org.springframework.webflow.engine.builder.support.FlowBuilderContextImpl$ParentConversionServiceProxy.getConversionExecutor(FlowBuilderContextImpl.java:132)
      	org.springframework.binding.convert.service.GenericConversionService.getConversionExecutor(GenericConversionService.java:160)
      	org.springframework.webflow.mvc.view.BindingModel.getConverter(BindingModel.java:171)
      	org.springframework.webflow.mvc.view.BindingModel.getFormattedValue(BindingModel.java:144)
      	org.springframework.webflow.mvc.view.BindingModel.getFieldValue(BindingModel.java:128)
      	org.springframework.web.servlet.support.BindStatus.<init>(BindStatus.java:120)
      	org.springframework.web.servlet.tags.form.AbstractDataBoundFormElementTag.getBindStatus(AbstractDataBoundFormElementTag.java:172)
      	org.springframework.web.servlet.tags.form.AbstractDataBoundFormElementTag.getPropertyPath(AbstractDataBoundFormElementTag.java:192)
      	org.springframework.web.servlet.tags.form.AbstractDataBoundFormElementTag.getName(AbstractDataBoundFormElementTag.java:158)

Comment

Well, now your ConversionService is implemented incorrectly. You just registered a custom Converter implementation with id "title" -- that's not what you want; you want the default converter installed to converter between String and Title... just use addConverter(new StringToTitle()) -- see the JavaDocs of addConverter(Converter) and addConverter(String, Converter) for more information.

I think you are close; fixing the bug in your Converter registration and wiring your ApplicationConversionService with a WebFlowELExpressionParser bean should hopefully resolve the problem.

Comment

Thank you Keith, you were right. It works now, it does the binding

The conversion service:

Code:
          public class ApplicationConversionService extends DefaultConversionService {

@Override
                  addConverter(new StringToTitle());
              }
          }
          StringToTitle:
          Code:
          public class StringToTitle extends StringToObject {

public StringToTitle() {
                  super(Title.class);
              }

protected Object toObject(String string, Class objectClass)  {
                  return Title.valueOf(string);
              }

protected String toString(Object object)  {
                  return object.toString();        
              }
          }
          and the configuration

Code:
               <webflow:flow-builder-services id="flowBuilderServices" view-factory-creator="mvcViewFactoryCreator"
                                             conversion-service="conversionService" expression-parser="expressionParser"/>

<bean id="conversionService" class="ro.billoo.app.web.conversion.ApplicationConversionService"/>

<bean id="expressionFactory" class="org.jboss.el.ExpressionFactoryImpl"/>

<bean id="expressionParser" class="org.springframework.webflow.expression.el.WebFlowELExpressionParser">
                  <constructor-arg index="0" ref="expressionFactory"/>
                  <property name="conversionService" ref="conversionService"/>
              </bean>
          using the com.springsource.org.jboss.el-2.0.0.GA.jar library

Comment

With the above configuration I noticed another thing
            Code:
            Caused by: javax.el.PropertyNotFoundException: Property 'execution' not found on type ro.billoo.app.entity.Customer
            	at javax.el.BeanELResolver$BeanProperties.get(BeanELResolver.java:193)
            	at javax.el.BeanELResolver$BeanProperties.access$400(BeanELResolver.java:170)
            	at javax.el.BeanELResolver.property(BeanELResolver.java:279)
            	at javax.el.BeanELResolver.getType(BeanELResolver.java:84)
            	at javax.el.CompositeELResolver.getType(CompositeELResolver.java:112)
            	at org.springframework.binding.expression.el.DefaultELResolver.getType(DefaultELResolver.java:70)
            	at org.jboss.el.parser.AstIdentifier.getType(AstIdentifier.java:32)
            	at org.jboss.el.ValueExpressionImpl.getType(ValueExpressionImpl.java:174)
            	at org.springframework.binding.expression.el.ELExpression.getValueType(ELExpression.java:112)
            	... 60 more
            Why does it try to bind to the model the execution parameter from the request? How can I stop it?

Comment

This is part of the "optimistic" binding algorithm which is the default binding algorithm. To specify explicit bindings, use the <binder> view-state child element. See the ref docs of 2.0.3 for details.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by lumpynose View Post
                That looks ok.

I don't know if this is the problem, but I don't like mixing my web form data transfer objects with my database data transfer objects. As an experiment you could replace your Person class with a new class
                Code:
                public class PersonForm implements Serializable {
                And use that with the web form. It should be a simple class with just getters and setters and a validation method.

Also create a constructor for Person
                Code:
                    public Person(PersonForm personForm) {
                So after you validate the PersonForm object, create a Person object from it and then save() it.

Like I said, I'm guessing and am not sure this is the problem (Hibernate or JPA changing the object behind your back) but it might be worth trying.
                Hi,
                I had this question of whether or not to use domain objects for getting form data. Since you have mentioned that you are keeping seperate set of classes for form data. I'd like to know where you keep them? under domain or web ? Also if any other have better idea please be kind enough to share

Comment

Under web, in dto. E.g., the package name myapp.web.dto. The controllers are in myapp.web.controller, two Decorator classes for DisplayTag which are in myapp.web.displaytag, and a Spring HandlerInterceptorAdapter is in myapp.web.interceptor.

It's almost as bad as Spring's sentence long class names.

Comment

Enum binding will be available starting with tonight's 2.0.4 nightly build. Please give it a try and let us know if you run into any issues.

-Scott

Comment

Most excellent; thanks!

Comment

Hi all,
                        I've added following conversation service but its never used, its using toString function of Country model.
                        If I remove the conversation service, it throws exception.
                        Also If I remove the toString function it displays object's hash. (similar to com.eon.persistence.Countty@dahd123213)

Here's my webflow config file:
                        Code:
                        <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                        <beans xmlns="http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans"
                        	xmlns:aop="http://www.springframework.org/schema/aop"
                        	xmlns:flow="http://www.springframework.org/schema/webflow-config"
                        	xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
                        	xsi:schemaLocation="
                        		http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans
                        		http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans/spring-beans-2.5.xsd
                        		http://www.springframework.org/schema/aop
                        		http://www.springframework.org/schema/aop/spring-aop-2.5.xsd
                        		http://www.springframework.org/schema/webflow-config
                        		http://www.springframework.org/schema/webflow-config/spring-webflow-config-2.0.xsd">

<bean id="flowController" class="org.springframework.webflow.mvc.servlet.FlowController">
                        		<property name="flowExecutor" ref="flowExecutor"/>
                        	</bean>

<flow:flow-executor id="flowExecutor" flow-registry="flowRegistry"/>

<flow:flow-registry id="flowRegistry" flow-builder-services="flowBuilderServices">
                        		<flow:flow-location path="/WEB-INF/webflows/public/register.xml" id="register"/>
                        		<flow:flow-location path="/WEB-INF/webflows/public/login.xml" id="login"/>
                        		<flow:flow-location path="/WEB-INF/webflows/public/index.xml" id="index"/>
                        	</flow:flow-registry>

<bean id="conversionService" class="com.eon.ibuy.forms.IBuyTypeConversionService"/>

<flow:flow-builder-services id="flowBuilderServices" view-factory-creator="viewFactoryCreator" conversion-service="conversionService"/>

<bean id="viewFactoryCreator" class="org.springframework.webflow.mvc.builder.MvcViewFactoryCreator">
                        		<!--<property name="viewResolvers">
                        			<list>
                        				<ref bean="viewResolver"/>
                        			</list>
                        		</property>-->
                        		<property name="viewResolvers" ref="tilesViewResolver"/>
                        	</bean>

<bean id="publicLoginForm" class="com.eon.ibuy.forms.PublicLoginForm" scope="session">
                        	</bean>

<bean id="publicRegisterForm" class="com.eon.ibuy.persistence.Systemuser" scope="session">
                        	</bean>
                        </beans>
                        Here's my conversation service implementation. I've printed BLA BLA1 BLA2 but only BLA printed to console.
                        Code:
                        package com.eon.ibuy.forms;

import org.springframework.binding.convert.service.DefaultConversionService;

import com.eon.ibuy.persistence.Country;

public class IBuyTypeConversionService extends DefaultConversionService {
                        	@Override
                                addConverter(new CountryToString(Country.class));
                            }
                        }

package com.eon.ibuy.forms;

import org.springframework.binding.convert.converters.StringToObject;

import com.eon.ibuy.persistence.Country;

public class CountryToString extends StringToObject {
                        	public CountryToString(Class country) {
                        		super(country);
                        		System.out.println("BLA");
                        	}

@Override
                        	protected Object toObject(String country_name, Class country) throws Exception {
                        		System.out.println("BLA1");
                        		return null;
                        	}

@Override
                        	protected String toString(Object country) throws Exception {
                        		System.out.println("BLA2");
                        		return ((Country)country).getCountryName();
                        	}
                        }
                        Here's my flow config:
                        Code:
                        <flow xmlns="http://www.springframework.org/schema/webflow"
                        	xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.springframework.org/schema/webflow
                                http://www.springframework.org/schema/webflow/spring-webflow-2.0.xsd">
                        	<view-state id="agreement" view="public/account/terms" redirect="false" popup="false">
                        		<transition on="agree" to="prepare"/>
                        	</view-state>

<action-state id="prepare">
                        		<evaluate expression="CountryDAO.findAll()" result="flowScope.countries">
                        		</evaluate>
                        		<transition on="success" to="show"/>
                        	</action-state>

<view-state id="show" model="publicRegisterForm" view="public/account/register" redirect="false" popup="false">
                        	</view-state>
                        </flow>
                        Here's the register.jsp page part:
                        Code:
                        <form:select id="country" path="country" items="${countries}">
                        </form:select>
                        Here's the Country.java file:
                        Code:
                        package com.eon.ibuy.persistence;

import java.util.HashSet;
                        import java.util.Set;

/**
                         * Country entity. @author MyEclipse Persistence Tools
                         */

public class Country implements java.io.Serializable {

// Fields

private String countryId;
                        	private String countryIso3;
                        	private String countryName;
                        	private Set zones = new HashSet(0);
                        	private Set shops = new HashSet(0);
                        	private Set companies = new HashSet(0);
                        	private Set systemusers = new HashSet(0);
                        	private Set currencies = new HashSet(0);

// Constructors

/** default constructor */
                        	public Country() {
                        	}

/** minimal constructor */
                        	public Country(String countryId, String countryIso3, String countryName) {
                        		this.countryId = countryId;
                        		this.countryIso3 = countryIso3;
                        		this.countryName = countryName;
                        	}

/** full constructor */
                        	public Country(String countryId, String countryIso3, String countryName,
                        			Set zones, Set shops, Set companies, Set systemusers, Set currencies) {
                        		this.zones = zones;
                        		this.shops = shops;
                        		this.companies = companies;
                        		this.systemusers = systemusers;
                        		this.currencies = currencies;
                        	}

// Property accessors

public String getCountryId() {
                        		return this.countryId;
                        	}

public void setCountryId(String countryId) {
                        	}

public String getCountryIso3() {
                        		return this.countryIso3;
                        	}

public void setCountryIso3(String countryIso3) {
                        	}

public String getCountryName() {
                        		return this.countryName;
                        	}

public void setCountryName(String countryName) {
                        	}

public Set getZones() {
                        		return this.zones;
                        	}

public void setZones(Set zones) {
                        		this.zones = zones;
                        	}

public Set getShops() {
                        		return this.shops;
                        	}

public void setShops(Set shops) {
                        		this.shops = shops;
                        	}

public Set getCompanies() {
                        		return this.companies;
                        	}

public void setCompanies(Set companies) {
                        		this.companies = companies;
                        	}

public Set getSystemusers() {
                        		return this.systemusers;
                        	}

public void setSystemusers(Set systemusers) {
                        		this.systemusers = systemusers;
                        	}

public Set getCurrencies() {
                        		return this.currencies;
                        	}

public void setCurrencies(Set currencies) {
                        		this.currencies = currencies;
                        	}

public String toString() {
                        		return countryName;
                        	}
                        }
                        By the way I'm using model and dao classess which has been generated by hibernate reverse engineriing in myeclipse 7.
                        Last edited by digz6666; Apr 14th, 2009, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Make sure you're running 2.0.6 or >

Comment

The problem fixed in version 2.0.6 so I've removed the toString function from my model class.

But I have another problem. I'm using render fragment but it hides all the dojo decorated text inputs.

I'm creating registration form, when user selects country, zones in selected country must have fetched from database and bind to select. It successfully fetched from database but not bind and hides text inputs.

Here's the register.xml flow definition:
                            Code:
                            <flow xmlns="http://www.springframework.org/schema/webflow"
                            	xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.springframework.org/schema/webflow
                                    http://www.springframework.org/schema/webflow/spring-webflow-2.0.xsd">
                            	<view-state id="agreement" view="public/account/terms" redirect="false" popup="false">
                            		<transition on="agree" to="setup"/>
                            	</view-state>

<action-state id="setup">
                            		<evaluate expression="publicRegisterFormAction.setupForm(flowRequestContext)">
                            		</evaluate>
                            		<evaluate expression="publicRegisterFormAction.initForm(flowRequestContext)">
                                        <attribute name="name" value="init"/>
                                        <attribute name="operation" value="0"/>
                                    </evaluate>
                            		<transition on="success" to="fetchCountries"/>
                            	</action-state>

<action-state id="fetchCountries">
                            		<evaluate expression="CountryDAO.findAll()" result="flowScope.countries"/>
                            		<transition on="success" to="show"/>
                            	</action-state>

<view-state id="show" model="publicRegisterForm" view="public/account/register" redirect="false" popup="false">
                            		<transition on="checkRegister" to="checkRegister" validate="false"/>
                            		<transition on="fetchZones" validate="false">
                            			<evaluate expression="ZoneDAO.findAll()" result="flowScope.zones"/>
                            			<render fragments="body"/>
                            		</transition>
                            	</view-state>

<action-state id="checkRegister">
                            		<evaluate expression="publicRegisterFormAction.bindAndValidate(flowRequestContext)"/>
                            		<transition on="success" to="processRegister"/>
                            	</action-state>

<action-state id="processRegister">
                            		<evaluate expression="SystemUserDAO.save(publicRegisterForm)"/>
                            	</action-state>
                            </flow>
                            Here's the register.jsp file part. (I'm using tiles 2):
                            Code:
                            <table style="width: 400px;">
                            	<tr>
                            		<td>Country</td>
                            		<td>
                            			<form:select id="country" path="country">
                            				<c:forEach var="cur_country" items="${countries}">
                            					<form:option id="${cur_country.countryId}" value="${cur_country.countryName}"></form:option>
                            				</c:forEach>
                            			<script type="text/javascript">
                            				Spring.addDecoration(new Spring.AjaxEventDecoration({
                            					elementId: "country",
                            					formId: "publicRegisterForm",
                            					event: "onchange",
                            					params: { _eventId: "fetchZones", country_id: dojo.byId('country').value }
                            				}));
                            			</script>
                            		</td>
                            	</tr>
                            	<tr>
                            		<td>Zone</td>
                            		<td>
                            			<div id="zoneDiv">
                            				<form:select id="zone" path="zone">
                            					<c:forEach var="cur_zone" items="${zones}">
                            						<form:option id="${cur_zone.zoneId}" value="${cur_zone.zoneName}"></form:option>
                            					</c:forEach>
                            			</div>
                            		</td>
                            	</tr>
                            	<tr>
                            		<td>City</td>
                            		<td>

</td>
                            	</tr>
                            	<tr>
                            		<td>District</td>
                            		<td></td>
                            	</tr>
                            	<tr>
                            		<td>Street</td>
                            		<td></td>
                            	</tr>
                            	<tr>
                            		<td>Address</td>
                            		<td></td>
                            	</tr>
                            </table>
                            Here's the typical debug result (taken from console):
                            Code:
                            DEBUG: org.springframework.webflow.mvc.view.AbstractMvcView - Rendering MVC [org.springframework.webflow.mvc.view.FlowAjaxTilesView: name 'public/account/register'; URL [public/account/register]] with model map [{webflowViewActionStateHolder=[ViewActionStateHolder@5b84b eventId = 'checkRegister', mappingResults = Mapping Results = [[TargetAccessError@618565 mapping = parameter:'password' -> password, code = 'typeMismatch', error = true, errorCause = org.springframework.binding.expression.ValueCoercionException: Value could not be converted to target class; is a suitable type converter registered?, originalValue = array<String>['12', '12'], mappedValue = [null]], [Success@1664f1a mapping = parameter:'country' -> country, code = 'success', error = false, originalValue = 'Mongolia', mappedValue = 'Mongolia'], [Success@1d33eef mapping = parameter:'userId' -> userId, code = 'success', error = false, originalValue = '12', mappedValue = '12'], [TargetAccessError@1c8f644 mapping = parameter:'email' -> email, code = 'typeMismatch', error = true, errorCause = org.springframework.binding.expression.ValueCoercionException: Value could not be converted to target class; is a suitable type converter registered?, originalValue = array<String>['', ''], mappedValue = [null]], [Success@9ff588 mapping = parameter:'middleName' -> middleName, code = 'success', error = false, originalValue = '', mappedValue = ''], [TargetAccessError@1b0d2d0 mapping = null -> eventId, code = 'propertyNotFound', error = true, errorCause = org.springframework.binding.expression.PropertyNotFoundException: Property not found, originalValue = [null], mappedValue = [null]], [Success@1e06b12 mapping = parameter:'firstName' -> firstName, code = 'success', error = false, originalValue = '', mappedValue = ''], [TargetAccessError@9576fd mapping = parameter:'execution' -> execution, code = 'propertyNotFound', error = true, errorCause = org.springframework.binding.expression.PropertyNotFoundException: Property not found, originalValue = 'e4s2', mappedValue = [null]], [Success@b6e385 mapping = parameter:'lastName' -> lastName, code = 'success', error = false, originalValue = '', mappedValue = '']]], viewScope=map[[empty]], org.springframework.validation.BindingResult.publicRegisterForm=org.springframework.webflow.mvc.view.BindingModel: 2 errors
                            Field error in object 'publicRegisterForm' on field 'password': rejected value [null]; codes []; arguments []; default message [typeMismatch on password]
                            Field error in object 'publicRegisterForm' on field 'email': rejected value [null]; codes []; arguments []; default message [typeMismatch on email], currentFormObject=com.eon.ibuy.persistence.Systemuser@1baa8d8, flashScope=map['webflowViewActionStateHolder' -> [ViewActionStateHolder@5b84b eventId = 'checkRegister', mappingResults = Mapping Results = [[TargetAccessError@618565 mapping = parameter:'password' -> password, code = 'typeMismatch', error = true, errorCause = org.springframework.binding.expression.ValueCoercionException: Value could not be converted to target class; is a suitable type converter registered?, originalValue = array<String>['12', '12'], mappedValue = [null]], [Success@1664f1a mapping = parameter:'country' -> country, code = 'success', error = false, originalValue = 'Mongolia', mappedValue = 'Mongolia'], [Success@1d33eef mapping = parameter:'userId' -> userId, code = 'success', error = false, originalValue = '12', mappedValue = '12'], [TargetAccessError@1c8f644 mapping = parameter:'email' -> email, code = 'typeMismatch', error = true, errorCause = org.springframework.binding.expression.ValueCoercionException: Value could not be converted to target class; is a suitable type converter registered?, originalValue = array<String>['', ''], mappedValue = [null]], [Success@9ff588 mapping = parameter:'middleName' -> middleName, code = 'success', error = false, originalValue = '', mappedValue = ''], [TargetAccessError@1b0d2d0 mapping = null -> eventId, code = 'propertyNotFound', error = true, errorCause = org.springframework.binding.expression.PropertyNotFoundException: Property not found, originalValue = [null], mappedValue = [null]], [Success@1e06b12 mapping = parameter:'firstName' -> firstName, code = 'success', error = false, originalValue = '', mappedValue = ''], [TargetAccessError@9576fd mapping = parameter:'execution' -> execution, code = 'propertyNotFound', error = true, errorCause = org.springframework.binding.expression.PropertyNotFoundException: Property not found, originalValue = 'e4s2', mappedValue = [null]], [Success@b6e385 mapping = parameter:'lastName' -> lastName, code = 'success', error = false, originalValue = '', mappedValue = '']]]], flowExecutionUrl=/ibuy/register.ibuy?execution=e4s2, flowRequestContext=[RequestControlContextImpl@1a30706 externalContext = [email protected], currentEvent = [null], requestScope = map[[empty]], attributes = map[[empty]], messageContext = [DefaultMessageContext@18662b6 sourceMessages = map[[null] -> list[[empty]], 'password' -> list[[Message@1aabc29 source = 'password', severity = Error, text = 'typeMismatch on password']], 'email' -> list[[Message@1bd5f28 source = 'email', severity = Error, text = 'typeMismatch on email']]]], flowExecution = [FlowExecutionImpl@223d9b flow = 'register', flowSessions = list[[FlowSessionImpl@1fa8d3b flow = 'register', state = 'show', scope = map['viewScope' -> map[[empty]], 'currentFormObject' -> com.eon.ibuy.persistence.Systemuser@1baa8d8, 'systemuser' -> com.eon.ibuy.persistence.Systemuser@1baa8d8, 'countries' -> list[com.eon.ibuy.persistence.Country@4e4fc4, com.eon.ibuy.persistence.Country@156f920]]]]]], flowExecutionKey=e4s2, systemuser=com.eon.ibuy.persistence.Systemuser@1baa8d8, countries=[com.eon.ibuy.persistence.Country@4e4fc4, com.eon.ibuy.persistence.Country@156f920], currentUser=null}]
                            If you need the war file (included java source files) I've uploaded here:
                            Code:
                            http://www.mediafire.com/?izj5czjyojt
                            Could you please explain me why the dojo decorated text inputs hidden and zones not displaying?
                            Please help me.
                            Last edited by digz6666; Apr 14th, 2009, 01:42 PM.

Comment

I would suggest breaking your second question out into a separate forum thread, since it's a different topic all together. Also, make sure you outline what you're trying to accomplish functionally before you dive into the technical approach. Might get more eyes on it that way.

Keith

Comment

My english is bad. So that's why I asking noob questions.

Here's the screenshots of my webapp:
                                1. It's in show state:
                                http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/2849/scr1g.th.jpg
                                2. I changed the country combobox and ajax event fired. 1st textfield disappeared.
                                http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/5113/scr2qgq.th.jpg
                                3. After sevelal changes all the textfields disappeared except undecorated textfield.
                                http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6568/scr3c.th.jpg

Please help me to solve it.
                                When I solved my issue I write small tutorial in this forum.

Comment

Working...
                                X