X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get Request Parameter in 2.0

I want to get the request parameter in the url of a new flow.

for example:

/booking.html?userId=3

I have this in the flow.xml
    Code:
        <on-start>    
            <set name="requestScope.userId" value="requestParameters.userId" type="long" />   
        </on-start>
    Code:
    protected Object createFormObject(RequestContext context) throws Exception {
      Object obj = context.getRequestScope().get("userId");
      // obj is null ?? 

}

What is the best way to get that userId, so that I can lookup that user? From the RequestContext?
    Last edited by gparker; Mar 15th, 2008, 10:18 AM. Reason: more info

The best way is to map it into your flow using <input/> like this:

Code:
    <input name="id" value="flowScope.id"/>
    With the default flow controller, all request parameters are exposed in the input map when a flow starts up by default.

This way you decouple your flow from a external context request parameter map, and rely on mapping input attributes instead... this allows for better flow re-use.

The reason your object is null in your code is you're trying to look up "eventId" but "userId" is your attribute's name. In general, I would not do such lookup in action glue code. Use EL expressions in the flow to pass the user id into your service/DAO to load the user object. In general, with SWF 2 custom actions should be the exception not the rule.

Keith

Comment

I had a typo. The string values ("userId") are the same and it is still null.

Comment

But, like in the example:
        Code:
        	<bean id="bookingActions" class="org.springframework.webflow.action.FormAction">
        		<property name="formObjectClass" value="org.springframework.webflow.samples.booking.Booking" />
        		<property name="propertyEditorRegistrar">
        			<bean class="org.springframework.webflow.samples.booking.PropertyEditors" />
        		</property>
        		<property name="validator">
        			<bean class="org.springframework.webflow.samples.booking.BookingValidator" />
        		</property>
        	</bean>
        If I needed to lookup objects and set them on the formObjectClass what would be the best way to do that?

Need somthing like this:
        Code:
          booking.setUser(user);
        That's why I overrode the createFormObject(RequestContext context) method in my FormAction. Trying to lookup the user.

Comment

I would create a helper service method that creates my form object when the flow starts and within that method sets the user.

Like this:
          Code:
          	<on-start>
          		<evaluate expression="bookingService.createBooking(hotelId, currentUser.name)" result="flowScope.booking" />
          	</on-start>
          Code:
              @Transactional(readOnly = true)
              public Booking createBooking(Long hotelId, String username) {
          	Hotel hotel = em.find(Hotel.class, hotelId);
          	User user = findUser(username);
          	return new Booking(hotel, user);
              }
          Keith

Comment

I think I'm starting to understand to how to best use SWF 2.0.

I tried what you suggested but now I get this:

Code:
            Exception thrown in state 'null' of flow 'registration'; nested exception is org.springframework.binding.convert.ConversionException: No converter registered to convert from sourceClass 'class [Ljava.lang.String;' to target class 'class java.lang.Long'

RequestURI=/registration.html
            Caused by:

org.springframework.webflow.execution.FlowExecutionException: Exception thrown in state 'null' of flow 'registration'; nested exception is org.springframework.binding.convert.ConversionException: No converter registered to convert from sourceClass 'class [Ljava.lang.String;' to target class 'class java.lang.Long'
            	at org.springframework.webflow.engine.impl.FlowExecutionImpl.wrap(FlowExecutionImpl.java:529)
            	at org.springframework.webflow.engine.impl.FlowExecutionImpl.start(FlowExecutionImpl.java:239)
            	at org.springframework.webflow.executor.FlowExecutorImpl.launchExecution(FlowExecutorImpl.java:112)
            	at org.springframework.webflow.mvc.FlowController.handleRequestInternal(FlowController.java:80)
            	at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.AbstractController.handleRequest(AbstractController.java:153)
            	at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.SimpleControllerHandlerAdapter.handle(SimpleControllerHandlerAdapter.java:48)
            	at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:874)
            	at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:808)
            	at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:523)
            	at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doGet(FrameworkServlet.java:453)

Caused by: org.springframework.binding.convert.ConversionException: No converter registered to convert from sourceClass 'class [Ljava.lang.String;' to target class 'class java.lang.Long'
            	at org.springframework.binding.convert.support.GenericConversionService.getConversionExecutor(GenericConversionService.java:150)
            	at org.springframework.binding.convert.support.GenericConversionService.getConversionExecutor(GenericConversionService.java:148)
            	at org.springframework.binding.convert.support.RuntimeBindingConversionExecutor.execute(RuntimeBindingConversionExecutor.java:56)

Comment

Hmmm, your source parameter is being returned as a String[] array instead of a String. Are you submitting the parameter twice?

Keith

Comment

I don't think so. If I don't put eventId, it doesn't exist.

/booking.html?wrongId=1

I get this:
                Code:
                Exception thrown executing org.springframework.webflow.action.EvaluateAction@1c818c4 in state 'null' of flow 'registration' -- action execution attributes were 'map[[empty]]'; nested exception is org.springframework.binding.expression.EvaluationException: [EvaluationAttempt@14cab63 expression = registrationService.createRegistration(eventId), context = [RequestControlContextImpl@881734 externalContext = org.springframework.webflow.context.servlet.ServletExternalContext@932892, requestScope = map[[empty]], attributes = map[[empty]], flowExecution = [FlowExecutionImpl@250179 flow = 'registration', flowSessions = list[[FlowSessionImpl@183c7a0 flow = 'registration', state = [null], scope = map['entityManager' -> org.hibernate.ejb.EntityManagerImpl@a70122]]], flashScope = map[[empty]]]]] failed - make sure the expression is evaluatable in the context provided; nested exception is ognl.NoSuchPropertyException: org.springframework.webflow.engine.impl.RequestControlContextImpl.eventId

RequestURI=/rw/registration.html
                Caused by:

org.springframework.webflow.engine.ActionExecutionException: Exception thrown executing org.springframework.webflow.action.EvaluateAction@1c818c4 in state 'null' of flow 'registration' -- action execution attributes were 'map[[empty]]'; nested exception is org.springframework.binding.expression.EvaluationException: [EvaluationAttempt@14cab63 expression = registrationService.createRegistration(eventId), context = [RequestControlContextImpl@881734 externalContext = org.springframework.webflow.context.servlet.ServletExternalContext@932892, requestScope = map[[empty]], attributes = map[[empty]], flowExecution = [FlowExecutionImpl@250179 flow = 'registration', flowSessions = list[[FlowSessionImpl@183c7a0 flow = 'registration', state = [null], scope = map['entityManager' -> org.hibernate.ejb.EntityManagerImpl@a70122]]], flashScope = map[[empty]]]]] failed - make sure the expression is evaluatable in the context provided; nested exception is ognl.NoSuchPropertyException: org.springframework.webflow.engine.impl.RequestControlContextImpl.eventId
                	at org.springframework.webflow.engine.ActionExecutor.execute(ActionExecutor.java:52)
                	at org.springframework.webflow.engine.ActionList.execute(ActionList.java:153)
                	at org.springframework.webflow.engine.Flow.start(Flow.java:516)
                	at org.springframework.webflow.engine.impl.FlowExecutionImpl.start(FlowExecutionImpl.java:335)
                	at org.springframework.webflow.engine.impl.FlowExecutionImpl.start(FlowExecutionImpl.java:235)
                	at org.springframework.webflow.executor.FlowExecutorImpl.launchExecution(FlowExecutorImpl.java:112)

Caused by: ognl.NoSuchPropertyException: org.springframework.webflow.engine.impl.RequestControlContextImpl.eventId
                	at ognl.ObjectPropertyAccessor.getProperty(ObjectPropertyAccessor.java:122)
                	at org.springframework.webflow.expression.WebFlowOgnlExpressionParser$RequestContextPropertyAccessor.getProperty(WebFlowOgnlExpressionParser.java:135)
                	at ognl.OgnlRuntime.getProperty(OgnlRuntime.java:1657)
                	at ognl.ASTProperty.getValueBody(ASTProperty.java:92)
                	at ognl.SimpleNode.evaluateGetValueBody(SimpleNode.java:170)
                Then it doesn't exist. If I put it, it is an Array.

Comment

I got it to work with this:
                  Code:
                      <on-start>    
                        <set name="requestScope.id" value="requestParameters.eventId" type="long" /> 
                        <evaluate expression="registrationService.createRegistration(id)" result="flowScope.registration" />
                      </on-start>
                  I could never get it to work with <input name="eventId"...>
                  Code:
                  <input name="eventId" value="flowScope.eventId" type="long"/>
                  <on-start>    
                        <evaluate expression="registrationService.createRegistration(eventId)" result="flowScope.registration" />
                  </on-start>
                  That is only one of the ways I tried it with <input..>. No matter what I tried, the id was either not found or an array. The url is the exact same for both requests.

Comment

Hmm... well, the requestParameters map is just backed by the underlying Http ServletRequest parameter map. I suggest you do some debugging - what is the content of the underlying HttpServletRequest Parameter map? There has to be as reason why its coming in as a string array... I would then check your jsp to make sure userId is not being submitted twice (e.g. as a action url query param and form hidden parameter).

Keith

Comment

Problem appears to be in FlowController.

protected MutableAttributeMap defaultFlowExecutionInputMap(HttpServletRequest request) {
                      return new LocalAttributeMap(request.getParameterMap());
                      }

Unlike HttpServletRequestParameterMap, LocalAttributeMap doesn't do the conversion of 1 element arrays into plain values. The arrays are getting propagated all the way through to the EL evaluation.

Comment

Thanks - nice catch. We'll address the issue this week for RC1.

Keith

Comment

Working...
                        X