Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How works the load sequence for the .xml files?

Hello,

Suppose my web application with the conventional files:

1) web.xml
    2) contextApplication-*.xml
    3) faces-*.xml
    4) *.hbm.xml

I know from the point of view of a Web App, the web.xml is the
    first one to be loaded. Which is the second one? How works
    this sequence? Where can I find out the specification or references
    for that?

I really appreciate any comments.

Regards,

Nato.

Except for web.xml there is no predefined order.
    Here is what typically happens:
    - web.xml is loaded by the servlet engine, this triggers the load of all defined servlets, filters, listeners, ...
    - the ContextLoaderListener loads the root application context XML, this might include a bean definition for a LocalSessionFactoryBean, triggering the load of all Hibernate mapping XML files
    - the DispatcherServlet loads the web application context XML

So you have to study web.xml to determine the order in each case.

Erwin

Comment

Originally posted by klr8 View Post
      Except for web.xml there is no predefined order.
      Here is what typically happens:
      - web.xml is loaded by the servlet engine, this triggers the load of all defined servlets, filters, listeners, ...
      - the ContextLoaderListener loads the root application context XML, this might include a bean definition for a LocalSessionFactoryBean, triggering the load of all Hibernate mapping XML files
      - the DispatcherServlet loads the web application context XML

So you have to study web.xml to determine the order in each case.

Erwin
      I believe that the ContextLoaderListener is always loaded first before any servlets, so the order (I think) is:

- web.xml parsed
      - ContextLoaderListener loaded (which kicks of the root appContext)
      - all filters are loaded
      - all servlets are loaded (any DispatcherServlets will kick off their specific webAppContext.xml).

Comment

Thank you very much for the prompt answer Erwin.

Regards. Nato.

Comment

Wow. These are the fastest couple of answers I ever got in any forum. Thank you so much for your contributions. Nato.

Comment

There is any matter on that sequence?

Comment

I am sorry, but I became a bit confused. Which answer is the correct one and is there any matter on this sequence?

Thanks in advance. Nato.

Comment

I think both I and Erwin are saying the same thing actually, I just clarified a tiny point.

The sequence does matter, but as long as you define a correctly configured ContextLoaderListener or ContextLoaderServlet (<2.4 servlet containers) you should be fine. I should state as well that this sequence is defined by the servlet spec, not Spring.....

Are you having any particular problems with this?

Please read http://static.springframework.org/sp...rence/mvc.html.

Comment

Colin, thanks for your reply.

I have to be honest with you. As I put in the first e-mail, I am using faces-*.xml, hence the architecture for my case is spring+jsf+hibernate. So, I'm not sure if the link you sent to me I can see the issues regarding the xml files as well. I guess it's the same for both web frameworks MVC Spring and JSF.

My apologies, I should sent this thread for the Web list, but since you already started to answer, I couldn't.

With this new reply I think it's clarified my doubts.

I'm not handling any particular problems. I only would like to understand this sequence load files. I know the reference for the web.xml is the servlet specification, but I wasn't sure about the xml files for spring, jsf and hibernate. Like you already stated, it's all depend on the order I put in the web.xml, now everything makes sense.

Thank you very much. Nato.
                  Last edited by DistillingSpring; Oct 12th, 2006, 06:26 AM. Reason: mistake in the list name

Comment

Working...
                  X