X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWF for non-UI workflows

I have a project with a requirement that it includes workflows of non-UI tasks. So a user will initate some action which will be scheduled for later time. An internal process will monitor the queue and when it's time, it will begin executing a workflow of tasks that need to be completed. A basic example might be the creation of a new user account. The workflow would execute in the evening to do things such as grant access to specific systems, and provision file server space, and update LDAP attributes, etc. Another job might be to publish announcements, and it's workflow would have entirely different tasks. These are things that happen behind the scenes to the user, that I don't want the user to have to wait for.

I'd like to make this easy to update in the future, to change workflow tasks, add new tasks, reuse existing tasks within different flows, etc. I understand that each task requires coding, that's not the concern (and is actually the preference so we can create custom isolated tasks). I know that SWF was designed to pretty much manage webpage flows, but is it adapable enough be a workflow engine for non-UI processes? Or is there an alternate solution I should look at?

Thanks!

You could almost certainly use SWF for this but it would need a lot of convincing

You would be better off using a workflow engine like OSWorkflow.

Comment

Working...
    X