Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best View Technology to Use with Spring MVC

Hi

I am starting with a a new application that will be based on spring framework completely. I am going to use Spring MVC as my presentation layer. SO i have few questions in mind as below:

1. What is the better option spring MVC or JSF? keeping in mind that underlying business layer is written using spring fraework only.

2. If I use spring MVC what's the best view technology i should go ahead. I really don't want to go with JSPs

3. Can I use Facelets as a view technology for my Spring MVC

Kindly provide your vauable inputs on these.

regards,
    Gaurav

Hello

I am starting with a a new application that will be based on spring framework completely. I am going to use Spring MVC as my presentation laye
    1) If the server side is based on Spring, for you could be easier work with Spring MVC and even with SWF, is wise work with all the sub project family available by Spring.

2) Spring MVC work with JSP by default. You could consider Flex, where you have the Spring BlazeDS project

3) Facelets is an extension (if the term is correct) for the JSF specification.
    Therefore you should use Facelets+JSF+Spring MVC (if Facelets is mandatory to be used for you). I could very sure has no sense think in Facelets + Spring MVC since Spring MVC is not based on JSF. THerefore JSF is part of this

I really don't want to go with JSPs
    Why?

Comment

I am no quite sure but some where I have read that JSP are going to obsolete and JSF will be the technology of choice in JAVA EE and views will be implemented by Facelets only. But I can not see any initiative taken by spring to accomodate Facelets to work with Spring MVC as it works default with the JSPs.

However spring supports working with JSF only if you have choosed spring webflow for your application. So my doubt is why we can not accomodate JSF direclty with Spring MVC when we can do so with spring webflow. becasue any way webflow is based on spring mvc only.

Comment

I am no quite sure but some where I have read that JSP are going to obsolete and JSF will be the technology of choice in JAVA EE and views will be implemented by Facelets only
        JSF is a specification, it was created after of Struts 1 if my memory doesnt fail, MyFaces, PrimeFaces, RichFaces I think implement and add new features for this specification.

But I can not see any initiative taken by spring to accomodate Facelets to work with Spring MVC as it works default with the JSPs.
        Many developers use jsp + jquery or jsp + dojo.

Recall that EJB was part of the Java EE specification, a hell in the old days. Spring Core is our savior. and has other perspective, Rod J. wrote a book about JEE without EJB

My point is, in my personal opinion, Spring has none obligation to accomplish each point offered by the JEE specification, but can integrates as well with others like JSF . Spring for example has no own implementation of EJB butcan work with EJB.

HTH

Comment

So which view technology you decided... ? I am also planning to migrate an old project...

Comment

Working...
          X