X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring 3.1 dependecy

I have been following the commit logs for spring-social and have noticed that Spring 3.1.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT has been introduced? Will spring-social depend on 3.1 or is that just a temporary thing to take advantage of some new features which you will pull out for a M2 or greater release until 3.1 is released?

We now depend on the RestTemplate interceptor capability in Spring 3.1, which will be available in its first official release with the 3.1.0.M1 release tomorrow. Take a look at how we're using it e.g. in TwitterTemplate--it simplifies signing requests for protected resources quite a bit. 1.0.0.M2 will have a hard 3.1.0.M1 dependency because of of this; if there is a lot of demand for 3.0.x compatibility, we can discuss options there but initially I'm hesitant to introduce our own way of doing this when RestTemplate is what we're building on (and we want to provide a clear and consistent implementation path for ServiceProvider contributions)

Keith

Comment

Keith,

Thanks for the explanation. I know that one of the projects I am working on will not be able to switch to spring 3.1 M1. I am sure other people will be in the same boat and given that 3.1 GA won't be till June that is a while before other apps would even consider switching to the 3.1 version. (in our case we are using a 3rd part ecomm system that is based on the 3.0.x line)

How much work is involved in backporting the new rest template support into the 3.0.x line?

-matt

Comment

Any potential suggestions on what might be able to be done if we are stuck using 3.0.x?

Is there anyone else out there in the same boat?

Comment

hi,

we try to integrate spring social into a grails project - the current grails-version 1.3.7 is build on spring 3.0.5. so yes, sitting in the same boat :-)

what are the suggestion to run spring social in spring 3.0.x ?

Comment

Craig and I are looking into restoring Spring Framework 3.0.x compatibility in advance of the M2 release. Stay tuned.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by mveitas View Post
              Any potential suggestions on what might be able to be done if we are stuck using 3.0.x?

Is there anyone else out there in the same boat?

Yes, me. I am building a Grails app and as such grails fixes the spring version. I am looking at spring social to integrate with FB/Twitter but if the next milestone releases will depend on Spring 3.1 I will have to reconsider as I have no control over the Spring version in my project.

Also I have noticed in other threads on this forum that there's quite a few Grails users that want to use Spring Social, just to throw some more weight around
              Last edited by mirror303; Feb 22nd, 2011, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Created a Jira issue: https://jira.springsource.org/browse/SOCIAL-110

Comment

If you pull down the latest from git repo, you'll see that they have added the support for 3.0. I was supposed to get some testing of it today but I got sucked down into another rabbit hole that I am still trying to find my way out of

I am sure any testing you can do would be awesome to help verify that they got it all working!

BTW, there was a tag put on the source code for M2 so I expect a release early this week!!!

Comment

That must be post-M2 then because if i look at the POM's in the milestones repo i still see the dependency on 3.1

it's on the project homepage too so I hope we'll see this in M3.

Anyway if I were part of the team I wouldn't want to make our release date dependent of a different project which i would have only moderate control over

And once 3.1 is out it'll be fairly easy to factor in the use of RestTemplate interceptor, which does look cool indeed.

But yeah it always kinda sucks if some people are trying to nail you down on a slightly older version of a lib.

Comment

The 3.0 support is in the source code: http://git.springsource.org/spring-s...001971c18f739b

But there is still 3.1 dependencies defined in the build like you said... just have to wait for Keith or Craig to chime in.

Comment

M2 is 3.0.x compatible. We require 3.1 to compile the project, hence the 3.1 dependency in the .pom, but it will run on 3.0.x.

Keith

Comment

Great! thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X