Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Spring Social affected by Facebook "July 2013 Breaking Changes"? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Social affected by Facebook "July 2013 Breaking Changes"?

Facebook reminded me yesterday about breaking changes getting into effect on July 10, 2013.

Is any version of Spring Social affected by them. I couldn't spot any problems, but I may be wrong.

It is possible that some of these breaking changes will impact Spring Social Facebook's API binding. I have been monitoring these and plan to do some testing (and updating as necessary) to address them. If it becomes necessary, I will push a Spring Social Facebook 1.0.3 release with the changes.

I was planning on attacking this sooner, but had to deal with some similar breaking changes that are due tomorrow for Twitter's API. The Facebook API binding is next on my TODO list.

That said, *any* help I can get from the Spring Social community in testing the existing API binding in Spring Social Facebook against the July 2013 changes and reporting problems will be greatly appreciated. Even more so, any pull requests it GitHub to help address any problems with the breaking changes will also be appreciated. And, when I publish a Spring Social Facebook 1.0.3.BUILD-SNAPSHOT release, any additional testing from the community for that snapshot will be very helpful in ensuring that Spring Social Facebook can coast through the upcoming changes.

Comment

Have a look at the latest snapshot builds for Spring Social Facebook (1.1.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT). This includes edits to the API binding for the following breaking changes to be applied on July 10:

- Remove publish_checkins permission. What changes in Spring Social: Checkins are now created and read as Posts with a location.
      - Remove 'version' property on groups. What changes in Spring Social: The version property still exists on GroupMembership, but it is deprecated and is always 1. It will likely be removed completely in the 1.1.0 (master) branch, but will remain deprecated in the 1.0.3 branch.
      - Facebook will no longer return images for photos that are larger than the original image. What changes in Spring Social: The size-specific properties (e.g., getOversizedImage(), getTinyImage(), etc) are now deprecated and may no longer work as their name suggests. These will likely be removed completely in the 1.1.0 (master) branch, but will remain deprecated in the 1.0.3. branch.
      - The 'count' property will no longer be returned in comment lists. What changes in Spring Social: This was only being used in one place. Now it is set to the size of the comment list returned.

Try it out and let me know what you think. In a few days, I'll merge these changes into a new Spring Social Facebook 1.0.3 branch and soon after will cut a 1.0.3 release. Any feedback I can get prior to that will be greatly helpful and appreciated.

Comment

For your testing convenience, I've just pushed a new spring-social-facebook 1.0.3.BUILD-SNAPSHOT to SpringSource's snapshot repository. This build includes the updates to account for the July 10, 2013 breaking changes in Facebook's API.

In order to use this version, you'll need to specify version 1.0.3.BUILD-SNAPSHOT for the spring-social-facebook dependency in your Maven or Gradle build. You'll also need to make sure that SpringSource's snapshot repository (http://repo.springsource.org/snapshot/) is declared in your Maven or Gradle build.

Again, any feedback I can get on this build will be greatly appreciated as I prepare to push it as a final build later this week or early next week.

Comment

Working...
        X