Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.0.X vs 1.1.X - Which should we use?

Hello,

I am considering building another spring social API implementation and would like to know which version of the API I should be using. 1.0.X is available now, but all of the samples reference 1.1.X. When will this new release be available?

Thanks!

It depends on your project's timeline and sensitivity to working with milestone and/or release candidate releases.

If you require a stable release, 1.0.x should be your choice. But if you're willing to work on the latest and greatest stuff, you can start working with 1.1.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT now and follow the work through milestone and RC releases until the final GA release.

I can't speak with certainty to when the final GA release will be, although I would anticipate it in the next couple of months. But I plan to release 1.1.0.M1 in the very near future. I was hoping to cut the 1.1.0.M1 release tomorrow, but I've still got a few loose ends to tie up, so now I'm shooting for Nov 26th (again, no promises are being made here).

Comment

Craig,

Perhaps I will look to build on the 1.0.x release. The 1.0.x documentation points to samples on github (https://github.com/SpringSource/spring-social-samples). These samples all seem to depend on the newer 1.1.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT code base though. Are there any samples that are used for the 1.0 code base?

Is there anything that speaks to the differences between 1.0 and 1.1?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by gemini929 View Post
        Craig,

Perhaps I will look to build on the 1.0.x release. The 1.0.x documentation points to samples on github (https://github.com/SpringSource/spring-social-samples). These samples all seem to depend on the newer 1.1.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT code base though. Are there any samples that are used for the 1.0 code base?

Is there anything that speaks to the differences between 1.0 and 1.1?

Thanks!
        From the github if you take the showcase sample project, in config package there are SocialConfig.java and ExplicitSocialConfig.java
        You will see that SocialConfig class has 1.1.x specific annotation:
        @EnableFacebook(appId="${facebook.clientId}", appSecret="${facebook.clientSecret}")

But ExplicitSocialConfig class works in 1.0.x version.
        Just try to import this showcase sample project into your IDE and in pom.xml put spring-social version 1.0.x
        You will see then which annotations/classes will be found/not found.

What I did myself is that I took the showcase project example and ported ExplicitSocialConfig and fb/twitter related classes to my project and used 1.0.x spring-social version

Comment

Most of those examples are for 1.0.x and aren't using any 1.1.0 features (even if the dependency has been updated to 1.1.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT). The only two examples that are 1.1.0-specific at this time are the spring-social-showcase and spring-social-showcase-xml examples. And the primary difference between these two examples is that they take advantage of new configuration options in 1.1.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT that weren't in 1.0.x.

Even then, the spring-social-showcase example still has the original configuration option in the ExplicitSocialConfig.java class. That class (as well as SocialConfig.java) use Spring 3.1 profiles to keep out of each other's way and the default profile is the "simple" profile.

The only other significant change is in the Twitter API binding code. Even then, those changes are minimal.

To make it easier to see pre-1.1.0 versions of the samples, I've created a new tag called "PRE_1.1.0". Checkout and work with that tag and you should see how Spring Social 1.0.2 works.

Comment

Working...
          X