X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LinkedIn Network Updates - SOCIALLI-6

I've pushed an implementation of SOCIALLI-6 [LinkedIn network update (eg, status) operations]
    to
    https://github.com/robdrysdale/spring-social-linkedin

I've sent a pull request to have it pulled to SpringSource master but no idea if it will be accepted or when.

I believe I've implemented this entirely. I have junit tested it and real life test it but I didn't check in unit tests as I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of loading and update.json file up to the repo with details of all my LinkedIn connections.

This allows interaction with network updates. You can view them all, comment, like, unlike, post a status update, share and update etc.

I've already commented on the pull request, but will respond here as well...

First, this is a great deal of work and very welcome. I've got a lot in the queue to work on this week, but I'll try to find some time to review this and either merge it or let you know if more needs to be done before the merge. LinkedIn has been on my personal radar and I've wanted to complete the API binding soon. Of course, your contribution is welcome and helps get that work done quicker.

As for the unit tests, my advice is to go through the test data and "cleanse" it...replace any details that are private with comparable test data that is fictional. That's what I've done in most of the Twitter and Facebook test data (some of it is real, but much of it is fictionalized). What's important is that the test data is real enough to accurately test the API, but it doesn't need to be truthful. Having the unit tests in place will be very handy as I review it, so I encourage you to get that in ASAP.

Once this is reviewed and merged, this may be an opportunity to cut a milestone release of the LinkedIn module. I don't intend to cut a RC or GA release until most/all of the LinkedIn API is covered in the binding. So, if you (or anyone else) wants to contribute some other piece of the API binding, then go for it.

Comment

I'll work on cleansing test data and loading tests up as advised. Should take a day or 2. I've a good bit of it done already.

You might update the priorities of the Jira Issues to reflect what functionality is most important next. I'll see what I can do with regarding to implementing further functionality. Can probably do rest of member details, people and messaging over next few weeks.

Structure of codebase is rather light compared to Facebook API. Should I update it to reflect Facebook structure or just proceed as is?

Comment

I've not had a chance to fully review it yet, but you make a point about the reflecting the Facebook structure. I did notice that all of the API binding is exposed in one interface. Even though it's smaller than Facebook, I still think it's big enough to warrant breaking it out into smaller bite-sized chunks.

Comment

Linkedin Public API should now be 100% implemented at:
          https://github.com/robdrysdale/spring-social-linkedin

Pull request sent to:
          https://github.com/SpringSource/spri...inkedin/pull/1

Hope you can get to review this and accept soon.

Comment

Thanks so much for your work on the LinkedIn API binding. I was watching your work passively while away on vacation last week. I hope to get a chance to review these this week (or possibly next week, depending on this week's schedule) and get back to you on them.

Comment

Great!

Great! I was waiting for a LinkedIn implementation. Unfortunately didnt have time to do anything myself.
              I'm particularly interested in interaction with Groups and the CV: posting to groups and copying content from the CV.

Kind regards,
              Marc

Comment

Originally posted by mschipperheyn View Post
                Great! I was waiting for a LinkedIn implementation. Unfortunately didnt have time to do anything myself.
                I'm particularly interested in interaction with Groups and the CV: posting to groups and copying content from the CV.

Kind regards,
                Marc
                I hope you're not disappointed but LinkedIn only offer very limited access over their REST API. Access is mainly read access rather than write, although you can post updates and send messages. You can't update your profile for example although you can certainly read information from profiles.

Also, I've just noticed that the Groups API has not been done at all. I missed this entirely, perhaps because their is no JIRA request for it yet. Oh well, more work to do I guess.

Comment

In case anyone hasn't noticed, there is now an official milestone release of spring-social-linkedin 1.0.0.M4 to go along with the latest 1.0.1.RELEASE of the other subprojects.

It can be downloaded from http://www.springsource.org/spring-social/ or it's in maven.

Would be great if interested users could test and feedback bugs to JIRA.

Comment

Working...
                  X