Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some random errors in signin

Hi,

I sometimes get random connection errors that occur during signin but don't seem to be handled.

These should probably be handled in some way

At least one of these looks like an error coming from the provider, but I encountered similar errors last week while on an unreliable network. In either case, I agree that these should be handled so that the user doesn't see the stack trace. I've created https://jira.springsource.org/browse/SOCIAL-230 to track this.

Comment

How would you suggest we handle this at the ProviderSignInController levell? You can of course handle it yourself generally at the Exception Resolver or Servlet level. I was expecting folks would do that rather than expect the @Controller would implement some specific error handling itself.

Comment

Yes, I was just starting to think the same thing after more thought on the matter. If something goes wrong while doing a sign-in, then the most appropriate thing to do *might* be to redirect the user to the sign in page and report the error. But ProviderSignInController has no idea where the sign in page is. It could default to "/signin" (with the option to override), I suppose. Even then, that may not be the behavior desired in all apps. The more flexible thing to do would be to handle it at the exception resolver or servlet level.

Comment

If this is handed to general spring MVC handlers, it would be good to write a little thing in the docs on how to handle these situations.

Comment

Yes, I was thinking of (1) adding such handling to the showcase example and (2) adding a bit to the docs to tell how to handle these kind of errors.

Comment

Working...
            X