Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Question about iPad now recognized as a mobile device in LiteDeviceResolver Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about iPad now recognized as a mobile device in LiteDeviceResolver

Why was the decision made to treat iPad as a mobile device in LiteDeviceResolver? I think there's room for debate as to whether or not full form factor devices such as iPad qualify as mobile devices. It's a complicated question because it may very well be implementation specific. Some sites may treat iPad as mobile, others may prefer to treat it as a desktop device.

I know WURFL integration is available to ascertain more detailed device information, but it's kind of a heavyweight solution.

Ideally, it would be nice to have Device - via LiteDeviceResolver - export a method such as isTablet() to address this ambiguity. Is this something that could be added?

Thanks

@d3xt3r indeed, I am looking into this for the RC2 release. I was originally planning on releasing 1.0 as is, but several people have asked about breaking out the tablet resolution. One thing to note is that Android tablets would be picked up by the mobile resolution as the functionality stood before. iPad was added to make this consistent. However, it's obvious this is not sufficient, even for the 1.0 release. Your comments here and on the JIRA are appreciated!

[1] https://jira.springsource.org/browse/MOBILE-31

Comment

Working...
    X