Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WURFL License

Hi,

We are a private software company providing a web based software service. From what I understand is that the Java API of WURFL (data of WURFL is open source) is only meant for commercial use. I notice that Spring Mobile ships with WURFL. Since Spring is open source, it might be fine to ship code that uses WURFL's Java API. However, if we wish to use Spring Mobile, can we also use WURFL that ships with it or do we need to pay a separate fee to WURFL to use their Java API which is being used in Spring Mobile.

Madu

WURFL is now AGPL licensed, which is not compatible with Spring Mobile's Apache 2.0 license. For this reason, we will be splitting out the WURFL integration from the main Spring Mobile project in the next milestone release. I recommend checking with the WURFL development team to see exactly what their terms are if you choose to use their API.

Hope this helps -

Keith
    Last edited by Keith Donald; Jul 25th, 2011, 03:12 PM.

Comment

An update on this: we've gone ahead and factored out the WURFL integration from Spring Mobile to here: https://github.com/kdonald/wurfl-spring. What we will aim for is contributing this integration work to the official WURFL project, where I would expect it to be supported and licensed in the same way as WURFL itself. This approach is much less confusing than having one Spring mobile module licensed differently than the rest.

Comment

Working...
      X