X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting and Running Greenhouse Locally

You can signup and use the production Greenhouse instance at http://greenhouse.springsource.org. However, you'll want to checkout the source code to really study it, adapt aspects of it to your own needs, and contribute to its development. Follow the steps below to get an embedded Greenhouse instance up and running locally:

1. Clone the Greenhouse project repository at http://github.com/SpringSource/greenhouse

2. Import the project into the SpringSource Tool Suite (STS) (version 2.5.0.RELEASE or > of STS is recommended)

3. To deploy the app, drag the 'greenhouse' project over to the "SpringSource tc Server Developer Edition" instance in the Servers view.

4. Start the server and access http://localhost:8080/greenhouse in your web browser. You'll know if it worked if you see the home page.

Enjoy!

Keith
    Last edited by Keith Donald; May 6th, 2011, 09:41 PM.

greenhouse

Hi Keith,

I have attached my configuration please have a look.

Thanks

Comment

Since your last post, we've removed the need to set any environment variable. Just make sure you pull the latest code from the repository and you shouldn't need to set any -D variable now, as the 'embedded' profile is the default profile. You can see this in the instructions, which I've updated.

Keith

Comment

I got it running in tc but get this integration error...

org.springframework.integration.MessageDeliveryExc eption: failed to send message to channel 'recentActivity' within timeout: -1

Is a setup step missing?

Jason

Comment

I have the bad propery name descriped in this ticket
          while running the last version of greenhouse, is there an easy workaround to run the webapp before the next build integrate the patch ?

Comment

unable to get greenhouse running locally...please help

i was able to retrieve the project using git without issue and import the project successfully. i was also able to drag to the the local server and deploy the app after starting the server. I get the welcome page just fine but when i try to sign in i get a 500 error. here is the dump...please advise:

org.springframework.web.util.NestedServletExceptio n: Request processing failed; nested exception is java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException
            org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.p rocessRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:656)
            org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.d oGet(FrameworkServlet.java:549)
            javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:617)
            javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:717)
            org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy$ VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java: 312)
            org.springframework.security.web.access.intercept. FilterSecurityInterceptor.invoke(FilterSecurityInt erceptor.java:116)
            org.springframework.security.web.access.intercept. FilterSecurityInterceptor.doFilter(FilterSecurityI nterceptor.java:83)
            org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy$ VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java: 324)
            org.springframework.security.oauth.provider.OAuthP roviderProcessingFilter.doFilter(OAuthProviderProc essingFilter.java:173)
            org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy$ VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java: 324)
            org.springframework.security.oauth.provider.OAuthP roviderProcessingFilter.doFilter(OAuthProviderProc essingFilter.java:193)
            org.springframework.security.web.authentication.Ab stractAuthenticationProcessingFilter.doFilter(Abst ractAuthenticationProcessingFilter.java:187)
            org.springframework.security.oauth.provider.OAuthP roviderProcessingFilter.doFilter(OAuthProviderProc essingFilter.java:193)
            org.springframework.security.web.access.ExceptionT ranslationFilter.doFilter(ExceptionTranslationFilt er.java:95)
            org.springframework.security.web.session.SessionMa nagementFilter.doFilter(SessionManagementFilter.ja va:100)
            org.springframework.security.web.authentication.An onymousAuthenticationFilter.doFilter(AnonymousAuth enticationFilter.java:79)
            org.springframework.security.web.servletapi.Securi tyContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.doFilter(Securit yContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.java:54)
            org.springframework.security.web.savedrequest.Requ estCacheAwareFilter.doFilter(RequestCacheAwareFilt er.java:35)
            org.springframework.security.web.authentication.Ab stractAuthenticationProcessingFilter.doFilter(Abst ractAuthenticationProcessingFilter.java:187)
            org.springframework.security.web.authentication.lo gout.LogoutFilter.doFilter(LogoutFilter.java:105)
            org.springframework.security.web.context.SecurityC ontextPersistenceFilter.doFilter(SecurityContextPe rsistenceFilter.java:80)
            org.springframework.security.web.access.channel.Ch annelProcessingFilter.doFilter(ChannelProcessingFi lter.java:144)
            org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy. doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:165)
            org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterPro xy.invokeDelegate(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:237)
            org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterPro xy.doFilter(DelegatingFilterProxy.java:167)
            org.springframework.web.filter.HiddenHttpMethodFil ter.doFilterInternal(HiddenHttpMethodFilter.java:7 7)
            org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilte r.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:76)
            org.springframework.web.flash.FlashMapFilter.doFil terInternal(FlashMapFilter.java:54)
            org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilte r.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:76)
            root cause

java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException
            org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotat ion.support.DefaultMethodReturnValueHandler.handle ReturnValue(DefaultMethodReturnValueHandler.java:8 5)
            org.springframework.web.method.support.HandlerMeth odReturnValueHandlerComposite.handleReturnValue(Ha ndlerMethodReturnValueHandlerComposite.java:66)
            org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotat ion.ServletInvocableHandlerMethod.invokeAndHandle( ServletInvocableHandlerMethod.java:100)
            org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotat ion.RequestMappingHandlerMethodAdapter.invokeHandl erMethod(RequestMappingHandlerMethodAdapter.java:4 63)
            org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotat ion.RequestMappingHandlerMethodAdapter.handleInter nal(RequestMappingHandlerMethodAdapter.java:436)
            org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.Abstrac tHandlerMethodAdapter.handle(AbstractHandlerMethod Adapter.java:79)
            org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet. doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:790)
            org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet. doService(DispatcherServlet.java:719)
            org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.p rocessRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:644)
            org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.d oGet(FrameworkServlet.java:549)
            javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:617)
            javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:717)
            org.springframework.security.web.FilterChainProxy$ VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java: 312)
            org.springframework.security.web.access.intercept. FilterSecurityInterceptor.invoke(FilterSecurityInt erceptor.java:116)
            org.springframework.security.web.access.intercept. FilterSecurityInterceptor.doFilter(FilterSecurityI nterceptor.java:83)
            org.springframework.security.oauth.provider.OAuthP roviderProcessingFilter.doFilter(OAuthProviderProc essingFilter.java:173)
            org.springframework.security.web.access.ExceptionT ranslationFilter.doFilter(ExceptionTranslationFilt er.java:95)
            org.springframework.security.web.session.SessionMa nagementFilter.doFilter(SessionManagementFilter.ja va:100)
            org.springframework.security.web.authentication.An onymousAuthenticationFilter.doFilter(AnonymousAuth enticationFilter.java:79)
            org.springframework.security.web.servletapi.Securi tyContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.doFilter(Securit yContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.java:54)
            org.springframework.security.web.savedrequest.Requ estCacheAwareFilter.doFilter(RequestCacheAwareFilt er.java:35)
            org.springframework.security.web.authentication.lo gout.LogoutFilter.doFilter(LogoutFilter.java:105)
            org.springframework.security.web.context.SecurityC ontextPersistenceFilter.doFilter(SecurityContextPe rsistenceFilter.java:80)

Comment

problem with greenhouse

following up on my previous post, the online deployment of greenhouse fails when trying to interact with facebook. seems to work for twitter and linkedin but fb triggers an error. please advise. thanks.

Comment

Yes, that's a bug that got introduced in the on-line version but has been fixed for awhile in the codebase. We would update the version, but we have to do a data-migration first to support another change in the data encryption algorithm (from DES to AES 256). I expect we'll have this done soon.

Keith

Comment

unable to get greenhouse running locally...please help

thanks for the reply re the online deployment of greenhouse. in your answer you indicated that the bug was fixed in the codebase...i retrieved the project and deployed locally. the welcome page comes up fine but when i click the Join link i get a 500 error (org.springframework.web.util.NestedServletExcepti on: Request processing failed; nested exception is java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException)...same if i try to login with facebook on the sign in page...any tips on what i am doing wrong? thx.

Comment

You might want to try again after pulling the latest updates. We were depending on Spring Social 1.0.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT but hadn't yet updated the codebase to use the latest Social code. I've since reverted back to 1.0.0.M2 in the meantime, while we are in the process of updating the codebase.

Keith

Comment

Well, after testing the latest I just reproduced the UnsupportedOperationException issue you described in your last posting. Greenhouse is pushing the envelope with regard to Spring Framework 3.1 features, and as a result depends on the latest 3.1.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT. Unfortunately, it seems like some of the recent enhancements to Spring MVC have broken the application. I've reported the issue to Rossen who is responsible for those changes and expect they'll be addressed soon. I would revert back to 3.1.0.M1 in the meantime, but Greenhouse now depends on some post M1 fixes as well so I'm kind of stuck until the next snapshot that fixes the MVC issues.

Keith

Comment

Ok, this issue should be fixed now since the latest SPR snapshot where this bug has been resolved.

Keith

Comment

The greenhouse effect is a process by which thermal radiation from a planetary surface is absorbed by atmospheric greenhouse gases, and is re-radiated in all directions. Since part of this re-radiation is back towards the surface, energy is transferred to the surface and the lower atmosphere. As a result, the temperature there is higher than it would be if direct heating by solar radiation were the only warming mechanism.

Solar radiation at the high frequencies of visible light passes through the atmosphere to warm the planetary surface, which then emits this energy at the lower frequencies of infrared thermal radiation. Infrared radiation is absorbed by greenhouse gases, which in turn re-radiate much of the energy to the surface and lower atmosphere. The mechanism is named after the effect of solar radiation passing through glass and warming a greenhouse, but the way it retains heat is fundamentally different as a greenhouse works by reducing airflow, isolating the warm air inside the structure so that heat is not lost by convection.

The greenhouse effect was discovered by Joseph Fourier in 1824, first reliably experimented on by John Tyndall in 1858, and first reported quantitatively by Svante Arrhenius in 1896.
                          Last edited by adamricky; Aug 5th, 2011, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Hi Everyone.

I am trying to run localy greenhouse. All is running in sts with tc server. When i try the linkedin button I get a timeout. I know i am behind a proxy for web access. I probably need to configure greenhouse to be aware of this proxy.

Anyone have pointer on the configuration i need to change ?

Great apps btw.

Francis

Comment

I find the info to configure de proxy with java properties
                              -Dhttp.proxyHost=my.proxy
                              -Dhttp.proxyPort=8080
                              -Dhttp.proxyUser=myUser
                              -Dhttp.proxyPassword=myPassword
                              But I receive "407 Proxy Authentication Required" its look like the username and password are not use.

Comment

Working...
                              X