X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jeremy & the others,

I recently downloaded STS 2.5.2 and started my project using Roo 1.1.1. Right from the beginning I had planned to use the Flex add-on for Roo, because I heard it would be pretty easy to use. There was no information (at least I didn't see anything) on the Spring Flex product page about the incompatibilities between Roo 1.1.1 and the Flex add-on, so I ran into the exact same problem (Roo shell hangs) that so many other users already mentioned in various threads...

If I got you right, you are working hard on a fix these days and expect to have a working nightly build in the coming days. That's great news! In the meantime, is there any tutorial or guide that explains what the "flex setup" command of Roo usually does? Basically I would like to use the BlazeDS RemotingService in my existing Roo project, but the information I found so far didn't really help me to set this up correctly. Any hints & links to helpful resources are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Nick

Comment

I'd say the best explanation available right now is the introductory screencast:
      http://blog.springsource.com/2010/07...or-spring-roo/

Also, note that the current nightly snapshots should at least be compatible with Roo 1.1.0.

Comment

Originally posted by pmularien View Post
        Thomas, I'd love if you could attach whatever changes you have made to this post or provide a SVN patch to get the current SVN trunk working with Roo 1.1.1. I'm noodling with the database reverse engineering features of Roo 1.1.1, and the result of DBRE isn't compatible with Roo 1.1.0, and also not with Roo Flex (which hangs in Roo 1.1.1).

Is there a JIRA item out there for the Roo 1.1.1 hang? If not, I'll volunteer to file one and work with Jeremy (or whomever) to get this patched!
        Hi Peter-

I'm terribly sorry for just now replying to this. I thought I had set up my profile/account for this forum to notify me via email if anyone posts replies/comments to this thread; clearly, I was mistaken.

I would be glad to provide a patch or post the changes here, whichever you prefer. Or, I could just do both.

Thanks,

Thomas
        Last edited by tbird; Feb 18th, 2011, 10:19 AM. Reason: Wanted to change the salutation of the post from being 'pmularien' to his first name, which is 'Peter'.

Comment

Originally posted by tbird View Post
          Hi Peter-

I'm terribly sorry for just now replying to this. I thought I had set up my profile/account for this forum to notify me via email if anyone posts replies/comments to this thread; clearly, I was mistaken.

I would be glad to provide a patch or post the changes here, whichever you prefer. Or, I could just do both.

Thanks,

Thomas
          Attached is a patch for the changes I made to the source for the Roo flex add-on. You'll probably want to change the properties/roo.version value in the pom (not included in the patch), so as to not cause a problem with the Maven dependencies. For example, I changed mine to '1.1.1.RELEASE' just for testing/debugging. In addition, (and this is somewhat stating the obvious) you'll want to make sure and build against the 1.1.1 Roo project source. Let me know if you have questions.

Thanks,

Thomas

Last edited by tbird; Feb 18th, 2011, 10:20 AM. Reason: Changed quoted salutation.

Comment

Bottom line

So Flex Addon for Spring Roo is compatible with what version of STS?

I just downloaded STS 2.5.2 with Roo 1.1.1 Is there or is there not a Flex Addon that is compatible?

If not, then what version of STS and Roo do I need to be compatible with the lated Flex Addon?

Comment

Me Too.

Originally posted by Nick778 View Post
              Hi Jeremy & the others,

I recently downloaded STS 2.5.2 and started my project using Roo 1.1.1. Right from the beginning I had planned to use the Flex add-on for Roo...

...Thanks!
              Nick
              Nick I am in the same boat, did you get it resolved?

Comment

Originally posted by dirkandthemac View Post
                Hi,

I am trying to get this whole shebang working, with particular regard to flex and the add on. I am running the following:-

STS 2.5.1.Release
                Roo1.1.0.Release
                Adobe Flex 4
                and i have added org.springframework.flex.roo.addon-1.0.0.BUILD-20101118.020007-139 (though it does not really seem to matter which version I add!!! None of them work)
                ...Any clues anybody.....I really want this to work and to be able to desert MS for good!
                I can add I just tried org.springframework.flex.roo.addon-1.0.0.BUILD-20110210.020025-223 and that doesn't work either.

Comment

Not yet org.springframework.flex.roo.addon-1.0.0.BUILD-20110210.020025-223

Originally posted by jeremyg484 View Post
                  The current state of things is that we are broken with Roo 1.1.1. (I should get time to fix that next week.) Roo 1.1.0 should work with the current nightly snapshots of the Flex Addon.
                  I tried org.springframework.flex.roo.addon-1.0.0.BUILD-20110210.020025-223 and that doesn't work with Roo 1.1.0, still hangs trying to create a new roo project.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeOliverAZ View Post
                    So Flex Addon for Spring Roo is compatible with what version of STS?

I just downloaded STS 2.5.2 with Roo 1.1.1 Is there or is there not a Flex Addon that is compatible?

If not, then what version of STS and Roo do I need to be compatible with the lated Flex Addon?
                    Hi Mike-

I don't believe it's so much a matter of compatibility between the Flex Roo add-on and STS but rather between the Flex Roo add-on and Roo v. 1.1.1.

Much of the code in the 1.0.0 version of the Flex Roo add-on used methods/classes from the Roo v1.1.0 API which have either changed considerably or have been deprecated. The patch I posted yesterday contains changes/fixes which allow it to work with Roo v1.1.1. In order to build the Flex Roo add-on you'll need to checkout the Spring Roo project from the SpringSource git repo (http://git.springsource.org/) as well as the Spring Flex project (https://src.springsource.org/svn/spring-flex). Both sets of projects are Maven builds so you'll need a Maven install of at least v2.x or better.

If you have any questions about any of this definitely let me know and I'll be more than happy to help out.

Cheers,

Thomas

Comment

Nick I am in the same boat, did you get it resolved?
                      Hi All-

Just in case you missed it, I posted a patch yesterday (link to the post containing the patch http://forum.springsource.org/showpo...4&postcount=10) which you can apply to the source of the spring-flex Flex Roo add-on project so it will work with Roo v1.1.1. If you have any questions or difficulties with the patch or otherwise, just let me know and I'll try to see if I can help.

Cheers,

Thomas

Comment

Great news, Thomas thanks. Do you have any guess as to when it might make it into a nightly build or release? I must weigh rebuilding vs. waiting for the best use of my time.

Comment

Great news, Thomas thanks. Do you have any guess as to when it might make it into a nightly build or release? I must weigh rebuilding vs. waiting for the best use of my time.
                          Hi Mike-

Unfortunately, I have no idea as to when it might make it in to the nightly builds. I believe the SVN repo is read-only so I think the best bet might be to let Jeremy look at the patch I posted and then maybe he could make the call as to whether or not he wants to commit the changes.

As far as 'rebuilding vs. waiting', I would like to see you give it a shot just so there's another set of eyes looking at my changes The build isn't all that difficult to set up and once you have it working it's a matter of dropping the new Flex Roo add-on jar into your Roo bundles dir. If you do end up checking out the necessary projects and trying your own local build, I'd be more than happy to help you if you run into any snags.

Cheers,

Thomas

Comment

Ok that being the case I will get started. I need to setup the Git repository and clone the ROO project sources, and let maven synch up. Is there a link to a guide on building from sources?

Comment

Hey guys,

Just now getting around to reviewing this...just scanned it quickly, but it looks great so far, thanks!

Thomas - Can you do me a favor and attach your patch to this Jira?
                              https://jira.springsource.org/browse/ROOFLEX-40

I need that before I can officially accept and commit any of your changes.

Also, let me know your last name so I can add you as an @author as needed.

Comment

Super, just saved me hours to setup and rebuild everything. I will wait for a nightly build. it looks like 238 is the latest from Feb 9, 2011, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X