Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shutting down Flex Message Broker (cleanly)

Hi,

I'm trying to hunt down why my Spring/Flex app doesn't unload all it's classes properly when the web-app context is reloaded (or even stopped).

I'm seeing the following error in the Tomcat logs:

Code:
    SEVERE: A web application created a ThreadLocal with key of type [java.lang.ThreadLocal] (value [java.lang.ThreadLocal@1d9d7ac]) and a value of type [flex.messaging.MessageBroker] (value [flex.messaging.MessageBroker@1717854]) but failed to remove it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the ThreadLocal has been forcibly removed.

Basically, all I have done is start the web-app, then stop it (using the Tomcat manager)

I'm using a basic Flex message broker (using the namespace):

Code:
    <flex:message-broker>
    		<flex:exception-translator ref="rtExceptionHandler" />
    		<flex:message-service
    			default-channels="longpolling-amf" />
    		<flex:secured />
    	</flex:message-broker>
    Is this a known issue that the message broker doesn't clean up properly on shutdown? Is there a work around?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin.

p.s. using Tomcat 6.0.26 & the 'find leaks' feature.

As far as I'm aware, we're doing everything necessary to try and ensure that all of the BlazeDS ThreadLocals are cleaned up properly when the Spring ApplicationContext is destroyed. I supposed it could be possible that the code we are calling in BlazeDS to do this is not doing the right thing. I have not tried running it with the "find leaks" support myself, but will give it a try to see if there is some way we can improve this from our end.

Comment

Same problem...

+1

Shudown my app, then issued tomcat http://localhost:8080/manager/findleaks for tomcat 6.0.26, and got:

Code:
          May 27, 2010 11:38:21 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearThreadLocalMap
          SEVERE: A web application created a ThreadLocal with key of type [java.lang.ThreadLocal] (value [java.lang.ThreadLocal@bfba23]) and a value of type [org.springframework.flex.core.MessageBrokerFactoryBean.DelegatingServletConfig] (value [org.springframework.flex.core.MessageBrokerFactoryBean$DelegatingServletConfig@1557525]) but failed to remove it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the ThreadLocal has been forcibly removed.
          May 27, 2010 11:38:21 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearThreadLocalMap
          SEVERE: A web application created a ThreadLocal with key of type [java.lang.ThreadLocal] (value [java.lang.ThreadLocal@17de242]) and a value of type [flex.messaging.config.SystemSettings] (value [flex.messaging.config.SystemSettings@1917b9e]) but failed to remove it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the ThreadLocal has been forcibly removed.
          SEVERE: A web application created a ThreadLocal with key of type [java.lang.ThreadLocal] (value [java.lang.ThreadLocal@4af41d]) and a value of type [flex.messaging.MessageBroker] (value [flex.messaging.MessageBroker@e0a75a]) but failed to remove it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the ThreadLocal has been forcibly removed.

I did attach a debugger, and verified that on application shutdown the spring MessageBrokerFactoryBean destroy() method is being invoked. That in turn calls FlexContext.clearThreadLocalObjects(), but I don't have source for that. It definitely looks like FlexContext.clearThreadLocalObjects isn't doing the right thing.

I'm using blazeds version: 3.2.0.3978
      and spring-flex 1.0.0.RELEASE

Comment

Tried one more thing, to no avail...

On application shutdown, I manually called FlexContext.releaseThreadLocalObjects(), but still got the same find leaks error messages.

Comment

And tried 1.0.3.RELEASE, to no avail...

Tried the newest spring-flex release (1.0.3.RELEASE), but it exhibits the same findleaks behavior described above.

Thx,
          Brad

Comment

Are there any news or progress on the shutdown memory leak?

Comment

Well, it is an issue with BlazeDS itself. I haven't checked to see if any of the later (unofficial) 3.0.x builds fix the problem. FWIW, I do know they've cleaned up the code responsible for this a good bit in BlazeDS 4.0.x. I haven't had a chance to check it thoroughly against Tomcat's leak detection though.

Comment

Aha - Found the source of the memory leak

Below analysis is for spring-flex 1.0.3.RELEASE and BlazeDS 4.0.0.14931

1. On the main 'startup' thread during application startup, the <flex:message-broker id="_messageBroker"/> tag creates and initializes the BlazeDS MessageBroker. As a side-effect of creating the MessageBroker, several ThreadLocals for the startup thread are created:[ DelegatingServletConfig, SystemSettings, MessageBroker, SerializationContext ]

2. The problem is that these thread locals on the startup are never cleared. Thus when Tomcat shuts the application down, it complains about the thread leak (see original error msg in this post).

3. The fix is fairly simple: in my 'blazeds-config.xml' file used for the blazeds servlet configuration, I added:

Code:
                  <!-- CleanupBlazeDSThreadLocalsOnStartup uses @PostConstruct in this servlet context -->
                  <context:annotation-config/>

and 

<!--
                       Spring flex does NOT cleanup BlazeDS thread locals created from main initialization thread,
                       which results in Tomcat reporting a memory leak at shutdown.
                  -->
                  <bean class="com.abinitio.dashboard.dispatch.flex.utils.CleanupBlazeDSThreadLocalsOnStartup"
                        depends-on="_messageBroker"/>
                The CleanupBlazeDSThreadLocalsOnStartup bean is also constructed on the 'startup' thread, and thus can clear the corresponding thread locals that are left over from the message broker creation :
                Code:
                  @PostConstruct
                  public void afterPropertiesSet()
                  {
                    // Clear the thread locals used by the 'main' startup thread.
                    // Otherwise get thread leak messages from Tomcat on application shutdown.
                    FlexContext.clearThreadLocalObjects();

// Clear other thread local objects on the 'main' initialization thread
                    SerializationContext.clearThreadLocalObjects();
                    TypeMarshallingContext.clearThreadLocalObjects();
                  }

This worked - after doing the above, Tomcat no longer complains about BlazeDS-related memory leaks.

Comment

Filed Bug and Fix: https://jira.springsource.org/browse/FLEX-200

Comment

Thanks for digging into this and for the detailed analysis...I believe everything should be getting cleaned up properly now in 1.5.

Comment

Hi guys,
                      I'm using spring-flex 1.5.2.RELEASE, blazeds-core 4.0.0.14931 and Apache Tomcat/6.0.326 but still have the issue. I've tried that on tomcat 7.0.40 and it worked out.. anyway i should make it works on tomcat 6.0326
                      Pls advise, thanks
                      Last edited by tetiana; May 31st, 2013, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X