Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future of Spring Flex/BlazeDS

Hi all,

I am curious if there is any news regarding the future of Spring Flex/BlazeDS?

Some questions:
    • Are there plans to continue development?
    • Will Spring Flex/BlazeDS run with Spring 3.1.1 and Spring 3.2?
    • What about LiveCycle Data Services 4.6?
    • Is Spring Flex/BlazeDS 1.5.2 "end-of-live"?

Thanks and kind regards.
    Paul

Certainly a bit off-topic, but did you consider using Spring/GraniteDS? It is a powerful alternative to Spring/BlazeDS and its development/maintenance isn't subject of Adobe (in)decisions.

Franck.

Comment

Status of Spring Flex/BlazeDS Integration?

It seems that the Spring Flex/BlazeDS Integration is End-of-Live.
      • Last bug was closed a year ago (JIRA) and new bugs weren't even commented.
      • No activities in github since one year.
      • Project has some issues with the latest Spring versions (3.1/3.2).
      • Newer BlazeDS version (4.0) isn't available in repo
      • OSGI manifest of version 1.5.2 restricts to Spring versions smaller 3.1.
      • Core Developer (Jeremy) is working on other stuff.

Really bad as this is a great project!!!

It would be great to have an official statement out it and maybe a way to release new versions (community pull request on github or donation to Apache Flex).

Patrick

Comment

Hey guys,

Basically what it comes down to is that there have been no new releases of BlazeDS since we released 1.5, thus no obvious need for us to further move the project forward, especially in light of Adobe's strategic shift away from Flex in the last year+. We consider the project to be mature and stable at this point. I do understand the desire for a minor update in order to get up to speed with the latest versions of Spring, and I would be happy to put out such a release, but it is true that I am working full-time on other things these days, thus don't have much time to look at the outstanding issues. If someone wants to pick the outstanding issues up and run with them, I would be more than happy to review and accept pull requests on GitHub. I've not received any to date since the last release.

If any of you are interested, checkout out the Spring Framework's contribution guide at https://github.com/SpringSource/spri...ONTRIBUTING.md, as most of what's there would apply in this case as well. Interestingly enough, I just noticed that there is indeed a fork on GitHub where someone appears to have fixed support for Spring 3.1 and Hibernate 4.1.

As for further on in the future, it largely depends on how the Apache versions of Flex (including the donation of BlazeDS which seems to not yet have materialized) progress. In looking at the Apache dev list, it appears they are making good progress. We would be more than willing to work with them in order to ensure that Spring BlazeDS lives on in some form to serve the needs of the users of the Apache version of Flex.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Comment

Hi all,

When on my organization needed to update our Spring and Hibernates projects, to the versions 3.1.x and 4.x respectively, I decided to fork the official Jeremy's repository of spring-flex and solve the incompatibility problem for internal use only, being in the hope of movement on the part of Jeremy in repository official. Therefore I didn't pull-request against official repository at the time (April'12).

A few months ago in July'12, my coworker Carlos Rovira, decided to share this develop, with the list of development of ApacheFlex, because he thought that he could be interesting for other developers, since we did not see any update in the official repository.

But now, after the commentary of Jeremy, and knowing the real state of the project, I think that it is the moment for remaking the process correctly, thinking about contributing to the official project, to continue it and to maintain it alive

Jeremy, if that seems well to you, I can do the changes again in clean, based on the spring contributing rules, and then make a pull-request to formalize the fix for being kick start on your official repository.

Regards,
          Jose Barragan

Comment

Jose,

That sounds excellent. I will be sure to keep an eye out for your potential contributions. Feel free to use the this forum if you have any questions, and I'll try to monitor it more closely than I have been able to recently. Thanks!

Cheers,

Jeremy
            Last edited by jeremyg484; Nov 19th, 2012, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Hello Jose,

I (and surely 100s of others) was wondering if you managed to make any progress on merging the fix into the official branch.

Thanks

Matt

Comment

Sorry by my silence until now, but I've been very occupied with many problems in my work, but as soon as possible I will retake the work on spring-flex.

I already sent my iCLA signed, but I've not yet received any answer from Spring secretary.
                Could somebody on the matter tell me something about of this situation?

Thanks in advance,
                Jose Barragan

Comment

Hello Jose,

any news from Spring Secretary ?
                  I am happy to add my voice in and chase them too ...

Matt

Comment

Hi Matt,

Just silence for now...
                    Something could be done to make this progress forward?

Thanks for your support

Jose

Comment

Originally posted by pepebarragan View Post
                      Hi Matt,

Just silence for now...
                      Something could be done to make this progress forward?

Thanks for your support

Jose
                      I was wondering, maybe Jeremy could help out ?
                      He must have jumped through the same hoops as you when starting the project...

I believe all we need to be able to do is to merge the forked code into the main branch, is that right ?

Comment

All we need is hibernate 4 and spring 4 support
                        That would be great to keep the project alive

Comment

Hi,

@matt
                          Almost yes, but I doing the changes again trying to complain with Spring require style to make a formal pull-request to Jeremy.
                          May be they're waiting for my pull-request to accepts my iCLA. With this assumption in mind, I'll hurry up doing all changes and create a pull-request ASAP.

@kannan I can only upgrade the project to Spring 3.1.3 at least, in next iteration I could try upgrade it for the latest spring version.

Thanks,
                          Jose

Comment

Spring 3.1.x is a good start, as a lot of other Spring projects now depend on it.
                            So currently with Spring 3.0.x it's impossible to upgrade many of the libraries we use.

Alright, looks like you're on your way Jose, will be eagerly watching the progress.

It's a pity that Github is blocked where I work, so we can't even look at what's there currently

Comment

Hi there,
                              I'm still finishing the tests phase fix, but while I'm doing it, you can access to new code that will pull-request soon, at:
                              https://github.com/pepebarragan/spri...g-flex-upgrade
                              I hope it will be useful.

Thanks,
                              Jose.

Comment

Working...
                              X