X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of the Flex Addon for Spring Roo - Help Wanted!

With the GA release of Spring BlazeDS Integration 1.5.0, it is time (overdue, in fact) that I officially address the state of the Flex Addon for Spring Roo with the community.

As many of you have noticed, there has been relatively little activity on the addon since the M1 release, other than occasional updating of the codebase to try to bring it up to par with the latest Spring Roo releases. Unfortunately, we just haven't had the necessary resources to dedicate proper effort to the addon, and I don't see that changing anytime soon as the Spring Web Team and Spring Roo Team are both already swamped with plenty of work. As I am personally moving on from focusing on Flex to focusing the majority of my development time on WaveMaker (see Rod's blog in case you missed it: http://blog.springsource.com/2011/03...res-wavemaker/), I wanted to reach out to the community in hopes that we can find some people interested in contributing to keeping the Flex Addon alive.

What I am officially proposing today is that we make the Flex Addon a wholly community-driven project, a la the Spring Extensions projects such as Spring ActionScript. Quite a number of you have expressed interest in seeing the project continue, and some of you have expressed interest in actually contributing, so I think it's time that rubber meets the road. I really believe that the people working on the Flex Addon should be people who actually spend a lot of their time building Flex applications. You are the ones who really understand the potential day-to-day pains that the Flex Addon could alleviate. The work I did on the M1 release should provide an excellent foundation for this. Honestly, I should have made this call to the community sooner (eternal optimist that I am, I kept holding out hope that I would get the time to finish what I started), but better late than never I suppose.

I am preparing to move the current spring-flex SVN repo over to Github, and in doing so I intend to split the Flex Addon back out into a separate project. In the process, I will prepare a README to describe how to set up a development environment. I hope that this will make it easer for anyone interested to start getting involved. I will be happy to review and merge pull requests for the time being and provide as much feedback as I can even though I don't have the time to contribute code myself at the moment. I would like this to evolve naturally and see how it goes. Hopefully through this process, a clear new "owner" for the project will emerge.

Again, I apologize that it took me so long to formally do this.

I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts and feedback here on this thread, especially if you are interested in contributing!

As the Spring BlazeDS Integration 1.5.0 already lays the foundation for RESTful Flex apps, wouldn't it be a good idea to let the FlexRoo addon also evolve in that direction?
    The whole flex layer implementation could be less intrusive in this way perhaps.
    Maybe a la jQuery mobile we could create a flex based front controller with # based urls or so.

I'm still using the RooFlex addon with Roo 1.3 to successfully generate my domain objects at the moment btw, and would be happy to help out the community if I can.

Maybe Christophe Herreman (the Spring Actionscript lead) could help steering the project somewhat as he has proven to be a very talented actionscript developer.

Anyway, hope the community will be able to figure a way out and I surely would be happy to contribute where possible.

Best wishes,

Jochen

Comment

*Eagerly awaiting the git repo*

Comment

Git repo is available: https://github.com/SpringSource/spring-flex-roo - I've not had a chance to write up dev environment instructions as promised, but go ahead and fork away if you know what you're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyg484 View Post
          Git repo is available: https://github.com/SpringSource/spring-flex-roo - I've not had a chance to write up dev environment instructions as promised, but go ahead and fork away if you know what you're doing.
          Thanks, I forked it at:
          https://github.com/mteodori/spring-flex-roo
          then:
          - updated it to make it work with spring-roo-1.1.5.RELEASE
          - added some bug fixes from existing jira issues (also new ones I've filed)
          and also sent a pull request:
          https://github.com/SpringSource/spring-flex-roo/pull/1
          Maybe it was too much Feedback appreciated!

--m

Comment

Fantastic...I will try and get your work merged ASAP.

Comment

Error in flex setup command

Originally posted by mteodori View Post
              Thanks, I forked it at:
              https://github.com/mteodori/spring-flex-roo
              then:
              - updated it to make it work with spring-roo-1.1.5.RELEASE
              - added some bug fixes from existing jira issues (also new ones I've filed)
              and also sent a pull request:
              https://github.com/SpringSource/spring-flex-roo/pull/1
              Maybe it was too much Feedback appreciated!

--m
              @mteodori I tried the forked version you made available. Thanks for that. The flex setup command is now available and begins working but fails with "Could not find the flex-framework dependency type." and then rolls back the setup. Any suggestions on how I can get past this?

Comment

Originally posted by chuckls View Post
                @mteodori I tried the forked version you made available. Thanks for that. The flex setup command is now available and begins working but fails with "Could not find the flex-framework dependency type." and then rolls back the setup. Any suggestions on how I can get past this?
                The forked version should have fixed also that issue, my guess is that for some reason your roo install did not recognized it. If you installed the original version first you should also delete the cache dir inside the roo directory, can you try this and check if it works? Thanks, Marcello

Comment

I tried this on my system at work and it works. I must have missed clearing one the caches when I tried it at home.

Thanks for the help.

--Chuck

Comment

Nice Work !

I tested it yesterday

Thanks

Comment

Hello,
                      Is there a way to get up to date binaries of the roo plugin ?

Comment

Working...
                      X