Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Web GUI Framework

Hi Experts,

I have been doing Java for quite few years now, however I am new to springs. I am writing a new web-application and am in the process of finalizing the technologies that I should be using.

Spring seemed to be a good choice for all the server side bits. Now, on choosing the web side of technology, I was happy with spring web mvc untill I realised that there are lot of other options to get around the AJAX / complex cross browser compatible HTML / JS development - rather than coding it all by myself.

So, could anybody suggest me the - GOOD options for developing a web UI, 1. which works well with Springs MVC and
    2. also supports minimum development effort for coming up with tree and grid strucutures in javascript
    3. handles Ajax calls, while also allowing me to change pages using spring mvc and not limiting to use only ajax based calls
    4. and is also free

I have already rejected
    - GWT, as core GWT is not directly integrate-able with Springs
    - SmartGWT, as this works best only with its own (smartgwt) server side code, which comes with a cost
    - GWT-EXT - which is replaced by smartGWT now, and can hence be considered out of support. So dont want to get in this space
    - GIN (GWT with Dependency injection/ GUICE) - as I cannot have the spring MVC layer with GIN. It would have to be GWT > Springs Business layer, something that is not workable

- Wickets - as apache wiki talks of more problems with Wickets and Springs than the advantages. So, I am guessing i would surely run into problems in short term. Also, I am not quite sure how good Wicket is in coming up with complex javascript trees and grids or how much examples of it is available on the web

- Any other GUI development framework that anybody wants to suggest ?? Something that is simple to learn and easy to implement while also being free ?

Thanks,
    DK

Code:
    1. which works well with Springs MVC and
    2. also supports minimum development effort for coming up with tree and grid strucutures in javascript
    3. handles Ajax calls, while also allowing me to change pages using spring mvc and not limiting to use only ajax based calls
    4. and is also free
    Use JQuery and jqGrid. Both are free. You can check some samples from my blog

http://krams915.blogspot.com/2010/12...tegration.html

http://krams915.blogspot.com/2011/01...qgrid-and.html

I also use GWT, but honestly JQuery integrates way easier with less obstruction. With GWT, you have to adapt to its workflow. With JQuery, you have the freedom. Also, check the JQuery UIs

Comment

Thanks Skram. Let me go through this.

Meanwhile, I also took a look at Prototype JS. It does look promising, however again, this doesnt provide lot of examples / ready made scripts for tree / grid / tabs etc.

I was wondering if there is a java 2 javascript - i.e. write in java and convert to javascript - freeware available ? with examples for creating tree/ grid / tabs etc.

DK

Comment

@skram
        Do you still rely on JQuery and jqGrid?

Cheers Fireball

Comment

@Fireball anything in mind? other easier alternatives? just asking because i just started a project with that.thanks

Comment

Working...
          X