Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ExceptionHandler doesnt work with ResponseEntity

Hello
    I'm trying to return a Responseentity object inside my @ExceptionHandler method but it complains about IllegalArugment ?
    Anyone able to use this feature?

Code:
    ERROR: org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.annotation.AnnotationMethodHandlerExceptionResolver - Invoking request method resulted in exception : public org.springframework.http.ResponseEntity sri.ws.RestErrorHandling.handleIOException(java.lang.Throwable,javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest)
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid handler method return value: org.springframework.http.ResponseEntity@9a912e
    	at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.annotation.AnnotationMethodHandlerExceptionResolver.getModelAndView(AnnotationMethodHandlerExceptionResolver.java:387)
    	at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.annotation.AnnotationMethodHandlerExceptionResolver.doResolveException(AnnotationMethodHandlerExceptionResolver.java:133)
    	at org.springframework.web.servlet.handler.AbstractHandlerExceptionResolver.resolveException(AbstractHandlerExceptionResolver.java:136)
    	at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.processHandlerException(DispatcherServlet.java:987)
    	at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:811)

Hello

1) Can you post your source code? Some detail you could be missing
    2) Can you post the complete error stack trace?

Comment

The code is like this, the method gets called so nothing wrong with the call. Only return value has the problem.

Code:
      @RequestMapping(value="/returnError")
      	 public ResponseEntity<String> returnError(){
      		 String message = "Exception occured";
      		 return new ResponseEntity<String>(message, HttpStatus.BAD_REQUEST);
      	 }

Comment

Hello

Your code seems be OK

I just checked the API ResponseEntity and has this example

Code:
         @RequestMapping("/handle")
         public ResponseEntity<String> handle() {
           HttpHeaders responseHeaders = new HttpHeaders();
           responseHeaders.set("MyResponseHeader", "MyValue");
           return new ResponseEntity<String>("Hello World", responseHeaders, HttpStatus.CREATED);
         }
        Try with the code above, Let me know what happen

Comment

Well that worked for me earlier the only issue is when it is annotated with @ExceptionHandler, i get that error i posted before.

Thanks for looking though.

Comment

Message converters are not supported for @ExceptionHandler's yet.

Take a look at this nitegate's post for details.

Comment

Working...
            X