X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• form:option tag not generating "selected" attribute

I have a problem with the <form:option/> tag. It does not generate the selected="selected" attribute. As comparison, the following works perfectly:

<form:select multiple="true" path="event.speakers" id="speakers">
    <form:options items="${speakers}" itemValue="id" itemLabel="lastName"/>
    </form:select>

It generates:

<option selected="selected" value="1039">Thompson</option>

However, for my needs I need to show a more complicated label (not just the last name but also the first name). Thus, seemingly the <form:option/> tag should be a good alternative (as I can created a more complicated label using EL).

The following code snippet in my opinion should generate the same html output as above. I have the following code using the <form:option/> tag:

<form:select multiple="true" path="event.speakers" id="speakers">
    <c:forEach items="${speakers}" var="s">
    <form:option value="${s.id}" label="${s.lastName}" />
    </c:forEach>
    </form:select>

Everything is generated fine, except the selected="selected" attribute is NOT generated.

What do I miss here?

I use Spring 3.0.4.RELEASE and I also tried investigating ways to work around this issue thinking that I may need custom Converters (implementing org.springframework.core.convert.converter.Convert er) but it did not seem to have any impact.

I started looking through the source code a bit. The code is hitting org.springframework.web.servlet.tags.form.Selected ValueComparator. And the evaluation fails because boundValue (String, comma separated String of Ids) and candidateValue (A Long value) don't match.

The question is: Why does the form:option tag fail while the form:options tag just works flawlessly? Do I have to create an "old-school" property editor?

If you have any helpful hints, please let me know!

THANKS!!!

I'm just guessing, but can it be that event.speakers is a array/list of Strings and speakers.id is a Long?
    If so can't you make event.speakers an array/list of Longs as well?

Comment

I know this topic is 6 months old but I had the same problem and couldn't solve it. I had to "fall back" to form:options.
      But I've found a post which may help: link

Based on that if you modify the path to event.speakers.id it may work, i haven't tried it yet. I'm not sure if the binding will work when you post the form.

Comment

Working...
      X