X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring and commons validation

I set up a form extending a simpleFormController to work with a Validator ( with much help received from this forum).
    Everything worked fine - trapping errors and displaying them on the jsp page. However this was done using springs validation framework.
    I was now trying to get validation with commons-validation working but it fails on few things.
    I'm aware that spring modules is another project which is currently under work and does include integration with commons-validation. Since there is not much documentation , it's a little bit of a struggle. So i turn to the one place i've got results every single time - the forum

This is what i have in my app-servlet.xml

Code:
    <bean id="validatorFactory" class="org.springmodules.commons.validator.DefaultValidatorFactory">
            <property name="validationConfigLocations">
                <list>
                    <value>/WEB-INF/validator-rules.xml</value>
                    <value>/WEB-INF/validation.xml</value>
                </list>
            </property>
        </bean>
        <bean id="beanValidator" class="org.springmodules.commons.validator.DefaultBeanValidator">
            <property name="validatorFactory"><ref local="validatorFactory"/></property>
        </bean>
    I stumbled upon a few pages on Matt Raible's blog about integrating commons-validation with spring. But the code in his examples follow a different API. I came to the conclusion that since it was written sometime in 2004, that it has changed and is re-organized and refactored differently under spring modules.
    Here is the xml for my controller -
    Code:
    <bean name="/secured/tradeEntry.frm" class="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.TradeEntryController">
    		<property name="mvcMap">
                <map>
                    <entry key="name" value="trade_entry"/>
                    <entry key="permission" value="SCREEN_ACCESS"/>
                    <entry key="page" value="/secured/trade_entry.jsp"/>
                    <entry key="url" value="/secured/tradeEntry.frm"/>
                </map>
            </property>
            <property name="validator" ref="beanValidator"/>
            <property name="commandName" value="smtmTradeMessage"/>
            <property name="commandClass" value="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.SmtmTradeMessage"/>
            <property name="formView" value="/secured/trade_entry.jsp"/>
            <property name="successView" value="/secured/trade_entry_review.jsp"/>
    	</bean>

Initializiation of the "/secured/tradeEntry.frm" bean fails because it says that the validator does not support the command class. What makes a command class "supportable" to a validator? what am i doing wrong?

The above configuration works fine when i use spring's own validation.
    Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
    ...D

If you use the library out-of-the-box, in your config for Commons Validator the name of each form has to be the short name of your command class, so in your case that would be smtmTradeMessage.

E.g.

Code:
    <form-validation>
       <formset>
         <form name="smtmTradeMessage">
    Cuong.

Comment

Works. Thanks

Cuong, Thank you. That was what it was.

Comment

ApplicationResources.properties

Well, i ran into a hurdle trying to get the application read values off of ApplicationResources.properties.
        I tried putting it under /web-inf/ApplicationResource.properties, and also under the root.
        And in my web.xml i tried -

Code:
        <context-param> 
            <param-name>application</param-name> 
            <param-value>/WEB-INF/ApplicationResources</param-value> 
            </context-param>
        Code:
        <init-param>
              <param-name>application</param-name>
              <param-value>ApplicationResources</param-value>
            </init-param>
        Both of the above additions to web.xml didn't get Spring to read values from the properties file. What am i doing wrong?..or what am i not doing?
        Thanks in advance.

Comment

The errors being generated are Spring's FieldError objects which resolve their messages from MessageSource beans rather than the 'Struts' way.

Here's the doc:
          http://static.springframework.org/sp...-messagesource

So, I suppose you could just add ApplicationResources to the list of resource bundles.

Hope that helps,

Cuong.

Comment

Worked, thanks.

Cuong, thanks again.That solved it.

Comment

Server side also

It might be a stupid thing to ask, but is common-validators from springmodules supposed to validate on the server side also, when JavaScript is not an option ? I have it configured and working on the client side (JavaScript) but when I disable JavaScript it doesn't seem to validate.

I'm not sure if it is an issue, but I have 2 validators for this SimpleFormController extender, the first one is the commons-validator , the other is a normal spring validator.

???

J

Comment

Working...
              X