X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Submitting empty field on form

How would I allow some empty field on form submission? What do I need to add on my controller? Because the form would only insert data if all fields weren't empty.

Thanks in advance

How would I allow some empty field on form submission?
    Depends what the field is. AFAIK, if it's a primitive you can't if your binding to it. Otherwise you can define it in your property editor. For example, CustomDateEditor has the signature:
    Code:
    CustomDateEditor(DateFormat dateFormat, boolean allowEmpty)

Comment

So it would be better to get the value with request.getParameter() rather than binding it?

Comment

All HTML input types *except for checkboxes* will return an empty string. Is this what you mean?

To get around the horrific flaw in checkbox handling, you can have a hidden element with "_propertyName" in your form. When spring binds it will intialise to the default values *including primitives* any properties which have a corresponding "_propertyName" parameter.

HTH.

Comment

Code:
          To get around the horrific flaw in checkbox handling
          I'm sure yatesco means horrific handling by browsers

This is a problem for all server side handling of checkboxes. You can also override onBindAndValidate:
          Code:
              protected void onBindAndValidate(HttpServletRequest request, Object command, BindException errors) throws java.lang.Exception {
                  MyObject myObject = (MyObject) command;
                  myObject.setLikesSpring(request.getParameter("likesSpringCheckBox") != null);
              }

Comment

So it would be better to get the value with request.getParameter() rather than binding it?
            Probably not if it is an object. I guess your other option is to set the allowFields property accordingly, and do the binding yourself - a bit messy though.

Comment

yes, I did mean in browsers

strbuf; I am not sure I get your problem, are you asking whether a form can be partially populated, i.e. only with parameters that are sent?

For the intellectually challenged amongst us (i.e. me ) can you explain the problem, and the solution you want.

Comment

Say I have two input fields.

input type="text" name="name"
                and
                input type="text" name="address"

I want the form still submitted/insert the data eventhough the address field is not filled in/empty. Using spring:bind won't allow me to have empty fields on form submission.

Comment

Why? What exception do you get?

assume:
                  Code:
                    class MyForm {
                      private String address;
                      private String name;

//accessors hidden.
                    }
                  you can certainly bind on the properties of that form regardless of whether they are null

Comment

Using spring:bind won't allow me to have empty fields on form submission
                    This should work. You might have to post the relevant code to get this sorted out.

Can I suggest first looking at the sample applications in the Spring distribution, and try submitting empty fields yourself.

Comment

Now I know what the problem is. Date fields can not be empty.

I get this message:
                      Code:
                      Failed to convert property value of type [java.lang.String] to required type [java.util.Date] for property 'tanggalLahir'; nested exception is java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Could not parse date: Unparseable date: ""
                      Would there be any way to let null value date be inserted?

Comment

Date fields can not be empty.
                        Did you specify allowEmpty=true when redistering CustomDateEditor(DateFormat dateFormat, boolean allowEmpty)

Comment

Working...
                        X