Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using an array with form:input and c:forEach

Hi all,

I have searched the forum on this and can't find an answer, forgive me if there is one.

I have a form with a Double[] amount which I want to display and submit from a jsp.

If I use amout[i] like below:

Code:
    <c:forEach items="${form.amount}" var="amnt" varStatus="counter">
    <form:input cssClass="decimal" path="form.amount[${counter.index}]" />
    </c:forEach>
    This displays the values correctly, but when edit a value and submit I get the following:

2010-03-10 13:43:14,187 ERROR [HTTPThreadGroup-54] uk.gov.lsc.maat.web.exception.WebExceptionResolver - ERROR -
    org.springframework.beans.NullValueInNestedPathExc eption: Invalid property 'amount[0]' of bean class [uk.co.home-grown.web.spring.form.ReviewForm]: Cannot access indexed value in property referenced in indexed property path 'amount[0]': returned null
    at org.springframework.beans.BeanWrapperImpl.setPrope rtyValue(BeanWrapperImpl.java:681)
    at org.springframework.beans.BeanWrapperImpl.setPrope rtyValue(BeanWrapperImpl.java:651)

If I change the jsp not to have array index as follows:

Code:
    <c:forEach items="${form.amount}" var="amnt" varStatus="counter">
    <form:input cssClass="decimal" path="form.amount" />
    </c:forEach>
    This submits correctly and saves, but in each input field it displays the complete array like {1234.0, 4321.0}

I have half of this working one way and the other half another way, how do I get it working correctly?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as I am tearing my hair out with this.

Thanks in advance.

Phil Maskell
    Last edited by maskellp; Mar 10th, 2010, 08:18 AM.

Read the stacktrace...

You aren't using the SAME object instance again for binding, you are using a new one, with an empty array. The element at index 0 is null and spring cannot bind to null values, hence your exception.

Either retrieve the object before binding @ModelAttribute or store it in the session @SessionAttribute, both approaches are explained in the reference guide.

Comment

Marten,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly on this.

I have one question about what you have said, if I am binding a different object how does it work with no [index]? Also none array fields on the form work fine, surely if their were an issue with the object being bound these wouldn't work too?

Thanks

Phil

Comment

Normal parameters work (primitives, strings) but not collections and arrays.

Comment

Yes, normal parameters like String, Date, Double are fine.

The array works if I remove the [index] from the form:input on the jsp, but it displays the complete array in each input box in the loop as {1234.0, 4321.0}
          It is as though Spring sees the array[0] and using the bind mechanism tries to call the getter/setter for this, which of course doesn't exist.

If it didn't work at all it would make more sense.

Thanks for your help

Phil

Comment

As this doesn't make any sense I have taken an example project from:

http://maestric.com/doc/java/spring/form_validation

I added a Double[] like the code I am working on, added this to the page and the submit code. It works fine.

I can not see any differences!!!

Any ideas of what could be causing this would be greatly appreciated as it is getting to the point were I may have to abandon this approach and look for a different solution.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

Comment

If you want to bind an array or collection the array has to be initialized if it isn't it isn't going to work...

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for all the help, I have solved the issue.

Turns out we currently have 2 controllers for the page, a select controller with the formBackingObject method and a save controller with the onSubmit.

If they are merged like in the simple example it all works.

Marten you probably were correct as the formBackingObject was in a different contorller the save controllers object would have been null.

Thanks

Phil

Comment

Working...
                X