Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Access to @Component beans in unit test using AnnotationConfigWebApplicationContext Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access to @Component beans in unit test using AnnotationConfigWebApplicationContext

Hi, I am trying to write a simple junit test that loads up one of my annotation based components/beans but I am not being successful when trying to use the AnnotationConfigWebApplicationContext class to do this.

In my test class, I am instantiating a new AnnotationConfigWebApplicationContext, calling refresh() in my @Before method (it tells me to do this) and within my test, I am calling:

Code:
    public class HighriseClientTest {
    	HighriseClient client;
    	AnnotationConfigWebApplicationContext annotationConfigWebApplicationContext = new AnnotationConfigWebApplicationContext();

@Before
    	public void setup() {
    		annotationConfigWebApplicationContext.refresh();
    	}

@Test
    	public void testGetPeople() throws Exception {
    		String[] beanNamesForType = annotationConfigWebApplicationContext.getBeanNamesForType(HighriseClient.class);
    		client = annotationConfigWebApplicationContext.getBean(HighriseClient.class);

List<Contact> people = client.getPeople();
    		assertNotNull(people);
    	}
    }
    I do not get any values in array beanNamesForType nor am I able to find the bean I am looking for by Type or literal name (I even tried specifying a Qualifier)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hope this helps

Which version of Spring are you using?

In case you specify configuration by using xml (in spring 2.5.6)
    you could annotate your testclass with something like

Code:
    @RunWith(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.class)
    @ContextConfiguration(locations = {
    	"classpath:/my-first-config.xml", 
    	"classpath:/my-second-config.xml"
    })
    so you would not need the applicationContext as variable

Comment

Oops, forgot to mention the Spring version. I am using Spring 3.0.0RC3. I will try what you suggested, but the Bean I am trying to retrieve is no defined in my config files, but rather defined using @Component annotation. Will your method pick those up as well? I guess there's only one way to find out.. I'll try it out and report back.

Thanks.

Comment

You don't tell the AnnotationApplicationContext where to find your @Configuration files, without that well nothing is loaded...

Comment

I don't have any @Configuration classes defined in my project. I simply have a few xml config files loaded through web.xml. By @Configuration, do you mean those defined by xml files as well? Sorry, a little new to all this Spring annotation stuff.

Here is my new code, but I am still failing to load the annotated component/bean that I need to do my testing:

Code:
          	"classpath:/conf/mebuyer-mvc.xml"
          })
          	HighriseClient client;
          	AnnotationConfigWebApplicationContext annotationConfigWebApplicationContext = new AnnotationConfigWebApplicationContext();

@Before
          	public void setup() {
          		annotationConfigWebApplicationContext.refresh();
          	}

@Test
          		String[] beanNamesForType = annotationConfigWebApplicationContext.getBeanNamesForType(HighriseClient.class);
          		client = annotationConfigWebApplicationContext.getBean(HighriseClient.class);

assertNotNull(people);
          	}
          }
          I have other config files besides mebuyer-mvc.xml, but I get some errors when trying to load those in. Most of what I need is contained within the mvc config file.

Comment

I think I just figured it out .. getting a different unrelated error message now, but I am actually able to get the bean!

I understand how this stuff works now. thanks for the help. high five.

Code:
            	"classpath:/conf/mebuyer-mvc.xml"
            })
            	@Autowired
            	HighriseClient client;

@Before
            	public void setup() {
            	}

@Test
            		assertNotNull(people);
            	}
            }

Comment

might work as well

also if you want to use the AnnotationConfigWebApplicationContext (as one of the replies suggested) and annotated classes as config refer to http://static.springsource.org/sprin...r-contstructor
              Last edited by fdemilde; Dec 16th, 2009, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X