Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Conflict between <mvc:annotation-driven> and DefaultAnnotationHandlerMapping Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conflict between <mvc:annotation-driven> and DefaultAnnotationHandlerMapping

I'm overriding the "default" instantiated DefaultAnnotationHandlerMapping explicitly for registering additional interceptors like this:

Code:
    	<bean class="org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.annotation.DefaultAnnotationHandlerMapping">
    		<property name="alwaysUseFullPath" value="false"/>
    		<property name="interceptors">
    			<list>
    				<ref local="localeChangeInterceptor"/>
    			</list>
    		</property>
    	</bean>
    But strangely and according to the logs I end up with actually *2* instances of DefaultAnnotationHandlerMappings. So the implicit (default) one is obviously not replaced by the explicitly defined one (which it should hoever according to the docs).

I pinned down that the source of this behaviour seems to be in the <mvc:annotation-driven> directive which I have as well in my configuration for using JSR 303 validation with hibernate validator. When I remove this piece of xml the explicit DefaultAnnotationHandlerMapping wins and the default one is gone (plus the interception for the locale works then - it did not before as the implicit DefaultAnnotationHandlerMappings did not have the interceptor registered at all).

Bug ? Or why should the annotation-driven thing have an impact on changing the override-behavior of the handler mappings ?

Best Regards,

Alex

PS: I'm talking about MVC 3.0.0 RC2 here....
    Last edited by rauar; Dec 1st, 2009, 12:42 PM. Reason: More info

Alright - as always self-reply...

I've "unrolled" the annotation-driven directive using the info in this jira ticket here: https://jira.springsource.org/browse/SPR-6306

Afterwards I unified my own DefaultAnnotationHandlerMapping incl. its interceptor and the DefaultAnnotationHandlerMapping from the "unrolled" part.

Works then as it should (no duplicate controller registration anymore, JSR-303 annotation-based validation still working and locales work nicely as well...

So my conclusion here would be that this is more sort of a bug as the annotations-driven directive defines implicitly a third (!) DefaultAnnotationHandlerMapping which already overrides the implicit one and leaves no chance for my custom DefaultAnnotationHandlerMapping with its interceptors.

If someone could confirm or clarify this ? Would open a jira ticket then....

Regards Alex

Comment

Yeah, I had the same issue - your post helped me out. Spring should consider this to be a bug, and provide a way in the annotation to set your own AnnotationMethodHandlerAdapter. The current Spring documentation is conflicting and misleading.

Comment

Yeah. I added a comment to the corresponding ticket (above) which introduced the short-cut.

Regards, Alex

Comment

Hmm - that looks like a comment to a closed issue (the one in which they implemented annotation-driven), not a new bug report. I think it would be great to file a full bug for this issue...

Comment

Absolutely. I have to admit: I was too lazy

I saw that 3.0.0RC3 has been released in jira so I need to first double-check whether that behaviour is still present in that version (I guess it will).

Will post back the new ticket id then.

Regards,
            Alex

Comment

Ok, same behaviour in RC3. Issue is here: https://jira.springsource.org/browse/SPR-6524

Feel free to comment on this issue. Not sure whether the explanation is clearly understandable.

regards Alex

Comment

This is definitely a pitfall. I just spent and hour trying to understand why the interceptors are not working. So thanks rauar for self commenting !!

Comment

Related to the original post:

If the only reason for explicitly declaring a DefaultAnnotationHandlerMapping bean is to apply interceptors, an alternative is to use <mvc:interceptors> along with <mvc:annotation-drive>.

Code:
                    <mvc:annotation-driven />
                    <mvc:interceptors>
                      <bean class="org.springframework.web.servlet.i18n.LocaleChangeInterceptor" />
                    </mvc:interceptors>
                  This will register the interceptor beans into the default handler mapping.

Comment

Had the same issue when defining my own AnnotationMethodHandlerAdapter so I could register custom messageConverters. The
                    Code:
                    tag I had used for registering a validator and conversion service created its own AnnotationMethodHandlerAdapter, put it at order #0, and my message converters were never used.

Took me a while to track it down to the same thing; took out the
                    Code:
                    tag and defined all my own stuff using this instead:

Code:
                    <bean class="org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.annotation.AnnotationMethodHandlerAdapter">
                            <property name="webBindingInitializer">
                                <bean class="org.springframework.web.bind.support.ConfigurableWebBindingInitializer">
                                    <property name="conversionService" ref="customConversionService"/>
                                    <property name="validator" ref="customValidator"/>
                                </bean>
                            </property>
                            <property name="messageConverters">
                            </property>
                        </bean>
                    Hope that helps someone not spend an hour or two tracking it down...

Comment

Working...
                    X