<form:form method="POST" action="add.htm" commandName="commandName">
    				<tr>
    					<td><spring:message code="firstName" />*</td>
    					<td><form:input path="firstName" size="52" maxlength="100"
    						readonly="${isReadOnly}" /></td>
    				</tr>
    ${disabledPermanently}
    </form:form>
    as result in my jsp in the field firstName the default value is test this, but the value of disabledPermanently is empty. Why it is not 12?

I think it has to do with the form taglib knowing how to traverse the commandName object and find child properties by name.

Hence, if you were to use <form:input path="${disabledPermanently}" /> you should see a text box with the value 12.

Try referencing the model object itself and see if it finds the property. Change your "${disabledPermanently}" to "${commandName.disabledPermanently}".

Comment

Originally posted by jamestastic View Post
      I think it has to do with the form taglib knowing how to traverse the commandName object and find child properties by name.

Hence, if you were to use <form:input path="${disabledPermanently}" /> you should see a text box with the value 12.

Try referencing the model object itself and see if it finds the property. Change your "${disabledPermanently}" to "${commandName.disabledPermanently}".
      Yesssss! It's work with "${commandName.disabledPermanently}"

P.S. Let me buy you a beer after work!

Comment

Glad to hear it. :]

The reason this works is because you have an instance of the UserView class that you have added to the model. The instance on the model is called "commandName". Thus, to refer to properties of the UserView object, you use ${commandName.id}, ${commandName.firstName}, or ${commandName.disabledPermanently}.

If you changed your code from:

Code:
        ModelAndView mav = new ModelAndView("user", "commandName", new UserView());
        to the following:

Code:
        ModelAndView mav = new ModelAndView("user", "userView", new UserView());
        then you could refer to the properties of the UserView object by the more appropriately named ${userView.id}, ${userView.firstName}, or ${userView.disabledPermanently}. Note that you would also need to change:

Code:
        commandName="commandName"
        to:

Code:
        commandName="userView"
        to reference the appropriate model attribute.

See The form tag and Web MVC framework for more.

Comment

When you use the form:form, you don't need to write the command name in every form tag (e.g: <form:input>, <form: option>, etc.), because you set it in the <form:form> tag previously (in <form:form method="POST" action="add.htm" commandName="commandName">) and it will set in every form tag automatically. But when you use a non-form tag, you have to write it, e.g: <c:if test="${commandName.firstName}">, <c: out value="${commandName.disabledPermanently}"/> or ${commandName.id}.

Comment

Working...
          X