X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd NoClassDefFoundError

I'm maintaining a Servlet App that uses Spring core features; bean factory and JDBC support. At start up time Tomcat is logging:
    2009-06-26 09:55:15 StandardContext[/OBIS1.2]: Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListe ner
    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/logging/LogFactory

This looks like a simple case of a missing Commons-logging.jar. However, the jar file is in the correct place and a few lines before the exception is logged Tomcat logs that the jar file has been loaded.

2009-06-26 09:55:07 WebappLoader[/OBIS1.2]: Deploy JAR /WEB-INF/lib/commons-logging-1.1.1.jar to C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 4.1\webapps\OBIS1.2\WEB-INF\lib\commons-logging-1.1.1.jar

I have no idea what is going on. Can anyone offer help or guidance?

Thanks,
    Beeky

Upon further investigation I think this is an Eclipse problem. When the app is started outside of eclipse there is not problem. I would still like to hear from anyone who might have an idea of what is going on but the problem is clearly not Spring related.

-=beeky

Comment

I thought I would add a bit about the solution to this problem in case a search turns up the original query.

I don't have any idea what produced the problem in the first place. Eclipse can be very mysterious that way. However, the solution was to create a new run configuration, almost identical to the original. The difference was the removal of one redundant jar (that had been there since day one). Tomcat started with the new run configuration started up normally.

Comment

Working...
      X