Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• holding on to ServletContext and using getRealPath()

My web application holds a reference to ServletContext and frequently uses servletContext.getRealPath(uri). I haven't noticed any bad side effects, but I wonder if this would work in all circumstances and on all application servers/servlet engines. (I've only tried it on Tomcat.)

Are there circumstances when the ServletContext would be refreshed and I'd be holding a stale context? Are there platforms where getRealPath(uri) wouldn't give the expected result, and if so, is there something else I could use instead to locate files?

I'm aware, by the way, that AbstractController has a getServletContext(), but I don't want to rely on subclassing AbstractController. I also haven't seen how to get the ServletContext from WebApplicationContextUtils. What I've done so far is to subclass ContextLoaderListener and then simply set the ServletContext into a static variable, as shown here:

ServletContextHolder.servletContext = servletContextEvent.getServletContext();

I don't think there is anything wrong with holding the ServletContext although I disagree with your need to do so. "You're doing it wrong ..." sort of a thing.

You should really implement the ServletContextListener just in case the container reloads the context for whatever reason. A stale copy might hold older data which may cause your app to behave unpredictably.

Comment

holding on to ServletContext and using getRealPath()

ServletContextListener! Much better.

Now, what about servletContext.getRealPath()? Is that safe on all platforms? If not, are there any workarounds?

Comment

I don't know about all platforms but it works on pretty much all versions of tomcat. I do remember running into problems using jboss though. You might have to go through a few bugzilla's and jira's to dig up it's true safety.

Comment

Working...
        X