Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struts ForwardAction counterpart in Spring MVC?

Hi,

I'm currenly doing a pilot with the Spring framework and rebuilding a my Struts controller to Spring MVC.
    I have a lot of simple url requests (actions) which do nothing with the model but just go to a .jsp page (view). Struts has a convienient ForwarAction I use for this.

<action
    path="/login"
    type="org.apache.struts.actions.ForwardAction"
    parameter="/WEB-INF/jsp/login/display_login.jsp"
    />

I can use the Spring MVC UrlFilenameViewController and SimpleUrlHandlerMapping but then the view name has to have the same name as the path.

I was wondering if there is some UrlHandlerMapping in which I can wire the url mapping path directly to a view name?

Regards,
    Marcel

I think you want to look at the view resolvers; e.g., org.springframework.web.servlet.view.InternalResou rceViewResolver.

Look at the api docs for org.springframework.web.servlet.ViewResolver and then look at the classes that implement that interface.

Comment

Thanks for your reply lumpynose,

I think the view resolving is one step later.

What I'm trying to avoid is to create and define a Controllers (actions) for simple forward actions.

Comment

The InternalResourceViewResolver iteself can work with proper naming conventions, but I think what you're looking for is the ParameterizableViewController. You'll need to map the incoming url to the controller, and the controller forwards to a (specified) view name, which must then be mapped via a ViewResolver to the desired jsp.

The samples have examples of its usage.

HTH

Comment

Thanks for your reply HTH,

With the ParameterizableViewController I could do the following:

<bean id="urlMapping" class="org.springframework.web.servlet.handler.Sim pleUrlHandlerMapping">
          <property name="mappings">
          <props>
          <prop key="/home.htm">homeForwardController</prop>
          <prop key="/faq.htm">faqForwardController</prop>
          </props>
          </property>
          </bean>

<bean name="homeForwardController" class="org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.Paramet erizableViewController">
          <property name="viewName"><value>indexView</value></property>
          </bean>

<bean name="faqForwardController" class="org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.Paramet erizableViewController">
          <property name="viewName"><value>faqView</value></property>
          </bean>

This would work, but for each simple forward action (from a request directly to a view) I have to define a controller! This is time consuming and will explode my *-servlet.xml.

I was hoping to define 1 controller and specify the view name as a property in the HandlerMapping.

E.g. some kind of SimpleUrlToViewHandlerMapping class:
          <bean id="urlMapping" class="xyz.SimpleUrlToViewHandlerMapping">
          <property name="mappings">
          <props>
          <prop key="/home.htm">indexView</prop>
          <prop key="/faq.htm">faqView</prop>
          </props>
          </property>
          </bean>

Before creating some class like this, I want to make sure I cannot define this with the already existing classes.

Regards,
          Marcel

Comment

("HTH" is one of those acronyms like LOL. HTH means "happy to help.")

Comment

What about the ResourceBundleViewResolver? With it I have a views.properties file that specifies 3 views handled by the same class:
              Code:
              signInView.class=org.springframework.web.servlet.view.JstlView
              signInView.url=/WEB-INF/jsp/signInView.jsp

adminView.class=org.springframework.web.servlet.view.JstlView
              adminView.url=/WEB-INF/jsp/adminView.jsp

waitlistView.class=org.springframework.web.servlet.view.JstlView
              waitlistView.url=/WEB-INF/jsp/waitlistView.jsp
              (I'm a rank newbie at this so I may not know what I'm talking about.)

Comment

Hi, - thanks for your help again -

I'm using the XmlViewResolver to do what you described.

You wrote you are using one class (1 controller I assume) and the have the ability to forward to 1 of 3 views. This means you had the code the controller class.
                That's what I don't want to do as my controller type as I described is a very very simple controller which returns always only 1 and the same view.

The ParameterizableViewController is the which comes close but it could be better....

Regards,
                Marcel

Comment

Hi,
                  I solved it by using the standard BeanNameUrlHandlerMapping and ParameterizableViewController classes.
                  See the example:

Code:
                  <!-- Simple handler mapping which maps url requests directly to the specified views. -->
                  <bean id="urlViewMapping" class="org.springframework.web.servlet.handler.BeanNameUrlHandlerMapping"/> 

<bean name="/index.htm" class="org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.ParameterizableViewController"> 
                      <property name="viewName"><value>indexView</value></property> 
                  </bean> 
                  <bean name="/faq.htm" class="org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.ParameterizableViewController"> 
                      <property name="viewName"><value>faqView</value></property> 
                  </bean> 	
                  <bean name="/questions.htm" class="org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.ParameterizableViewController"> 
                      <property name="viewName"><value>faqView2</value></property> 
                  </bean>

Comment

Working...
                  X