X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reloading with dm Server?

One of the major problems we run into when we develop web applications is the constant need to restart the server to see our changes. Reading about the Spring dm server, it seems they possibly have solved the problem.

The claim is that a developer can refresh/reload the server using Spring Tools. I wonder if anyone has done that and had it actually work, reliably and consistently. Also, I wonder if anyone has done development deployment with dm Server, gotten reloading to work, and then deployed in production to another server (e.g, weblogic). For this last to work, it would have to be trivial to switch from whatever deployment artificat the dm Server needs to a simple warfile that can be deployed in any container. I ask because many businesses, including my current client, aren't about to switch from weblogic or websphere in production, but have nothing against a development environment that allows quick turnaround.

I can attest to the fact that reloading/refreshing works like a charm. We use dm Server in our Rich Web course and students typically do not have to restart at all - JSP changes are automatic, class changes and other configuration changes such as web.xml or spring configuration automatically publish to the server and reload the context. The memory doesn't go up as it does in other servers.

As for the second part I can't speak from first hand but I see on reason why it shouldn't work. In the course we use a Shared Services WAR set up, which means the web application is laid out the same way as a regular WAR but gets its dependencies through the dm Server and not from /WEB-INF/lib.
    Last edited by Rossen Stoyanchev; Jan 29th, 2009, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Have used dm server before and it do works. I can attest to that.

Comment

Working...
      X