X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to using Spring with Servlets

I'm not new to the concepts that Spring embodifies: AOP, IOC, and dependency injection totally make sense to me. I've also read through a bunch of the documentation on how to create a Spring project, you know... setting up an ApplicationContext, etc. I understand how Spring works, and the goals that it tries to address, but I don't understand how to use it with an existing server.

I'm using Tomcat. I understand the purpose of a servlet as being more or less a Java web application, allowing developers to tap into Java as the power behind their server and the flexibility therein. I'm new to using servlets, however, as the server I do most of my work on (Red5) handles most of the setup for me. Red5 runs its own instance of Tomcat and is already wired together by Spring, so creating a new application is simple and it automagically gives developers access to Spring through dependency injection within the servlet context.

My question is, what's the purpose of using Spring in a servlet context? I mean, I kind of understand it, but not completely. Is it to create things such as Hibernate SessionFactories and make them available to my JSP pages? If so, how do I get access to what Spring is doing in Tomcat in that case? I guess I just need to understand the concept a bit more. I've seen some tutorials on using Spring's MVC framework and I saw some weird stuff on servlet rewriting and so on and so forth, and I just don't know where to begin. Can anyone point me in the right direction? All this servlet stuff is kind of new to me.

Have you read the Spring MVC tutorial yet? If you haven't, that should be your first step. The concepts of spring and their uses become a lot clearer once you go through that tutorial.

When I first started I also thought along the same lines, "What does spring bring to the table which I don't already have?". Now that the project I used spring in has become quite large, I realize the things that Spring adds, it just makes everything so simpler and easier to manage. I can also say that Spring has cut down the code base by more than 50%.

Other than that, feel free to ask questions here.

Comment

Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction. That article totally makes sense and helps! Many thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X