X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search auto complete.

Im doing a web app using Spring MVC, Hibernate and JSP as my view layer.

I want an autocomplete search like Youtube's video search, or Facebook's network search.

What technology do I need to use to do this?

The only way I can think to do it is by putting everything in my referenceData map and then using javascript to match what the user types. This doesnt seem like a particularly efficient way to do this if there are a lot of possible search terms (which there is).

Any ideas any one?

Thanks in advance.

Dojo's FilteringSelect has exactly the behavior you describe with fetching all data on the client side and letting you type free form to find a match.

If the data set is larger you'll need to make an Ajax call. You can use a library like Dojo, jQuery, YUI, GWT, etc. to make the call and then return JSON data from the server side but it's best to use a pre-built component to handle more advanced parts like how many letters should start the search, how long to wait, etc.

Dojo doesn't have a component specifically for that but you can connect a FilteringSelect widget to a data store, which manages the data for the select.

Comment

I created such a search functionality with a AJAX query, with DWR to be more specific. DWR integrates really easy with Spring 2.x projects (and with spring 1 as well). I think there is some online tutorial about such functionality implemented with DWR.

Comment

Thanks for the answers guys, I'm going to give the FilteringSelect and DWR a go to see which works the best.
        Thanks again.

Comment

Hello there,

I'm using jquery.autocomplete plugin and it works just great!

Comment

Thanks for the response all, I ended up opting for DWR. Works really well. Integrated quite nicely with Spring and really wasn't difficult to do once I read the docs.

Thanks again.

Comment

krzychu ,

Could you please share how did you do. I did get result from mvc controller but its its showing entire jsp page rather than just list results.

<script>

$(document).ready(function(){
              var url = "searchResult.htm";
              $("#example").autocomplete(url);
              });
              </script>

</head>
              <body>
              API Reference: <input id="example" /> (try "C" or "E")
              </body>

Comment

Re

Hi All,
                There is a tag in <form:input autocomplete=""/>.
                Can any one help me showing me the example for the same.

thanks in advance.

Ragards and Thanks,
                Balkeshwar

Comment

Working...
                X