X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date Property Editors

I have a form with two date fields: one has a date and time, and the other is just a date. What is the best way to create a PropertyEditorSupport class so that I can handle both situations as they both are represented as java.util.Date?

I started by creating such a class and to override the setAsText method, which works perfectly. However, if I don't override getAsText, then I get the full timestamp. And this is where my dilemma begins ... if one is a date and time, and the other is just a date, how can I output them to be displayed differently?

I do have a kludge which does work, but now I'm testing logic inside a view instead of keeping it in my business class. On overriding getAsText, I check of the date has an hour greater than zero (which works because I'm only dealing with regular office hours).

Thanks,
    smv

While registering the property editor using registerCustomEditor on the ServletRequestDataBinder you can also specify a field name. Use that in combination with a somewhat configurable property editor (for example mention a boolean in the constructor indicating whether or not to also output timestamps).

binder.registerCustomEditor(Date.class, "timestamp", new MyDateEditor(true));
    binder.registerCustomEditor(Date.class, "noTimestamp", new MyDateEditor(false));

Hope this helps,

Alef

Comment

Thank you, that works perfectly! I wasn't aware that I could pass a field name along with the registering the property editor. So, I'm now using the built-in CustomDateEditor instead of rolling my own editor.

Comment

Working...
      X