X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Themes

What are themes? Are they supposed to implement something like sitemesh? Are they currently working?

yep.

here's what seems to be the minimum to get them going, based on my slightly hit and miss approach.

1. setup handlerMapping, themeInterceptor and themeResolver in *-servlet.xml

Code:
    <bean id="handlerMapping"   class="org.springframework.web.servlet.handler.BeanNameUrlHandlerMapping">
        <property name="interceptors">
          <list>
            <ref local="themeChangeInterceptor"/>
          </list>
        </property>
      </bean>

<bean id="themeResolver" class="org.springframework.web.servlet.theme.SessionThemeResolver"/>

<bean id="themeChangeInterceptor" class="org.springframework.web.servlet.theme.ThemeChangeInterceptor"/>
    2. setup messageSource to determine at a minimum any themes you have. In this case, 'dev' and 'theme' are themes. 'theme' seems to be the default theme name.

Code:
    <bean id="messageSource"
          class="org.springframework.context.support.ReloadableResourceBundleMessageSource">
        <property name="basenames">
          <list>
            <value>WEB-INF/usermessages</value>
            <value>WEB-INF/dbmessages</value>
            <value>WEB-INF/label</value>
            <value>WEB-INF/dev</value>
            <value>WEB-INF/theme</value>
          </list>
        </property>
      </bean>
    3. create properties files referenced in messageResource, e.g. classes/dev.properties. The 'css' property in this file will be used to construct a link reference in your JSP page.

Code:
    css=/themes/dev/style.css
    4. plug theme/CSS resolving into your JSP

Code:
    <c&#58;set var="css"><spring&#58;theme code="css"/></c&#58;set>
        <c&#58;if test="$&#123;not empty css&#125;">
          <link rel="stylesheet" href="<c&#58;url value='$&#123;css&#125;'/>" type="text/css" />
        </c&#58;if>
    5. put buttons or whatever on jsp page to switch themes, where dev and theme below seem to correspond to the property files referenced in step 2.

Code:
    <input type="submit" name="theme" value="dev"/>
    <input type="submit" name="theme" value="theme"/>

Comment

Hopefully the documentation will talk about this soon. "Dummy Paragraph" does not do much good.

Comment

I think sitemesh and themes are completely different things. Themes allow you to include in a web page "theme" specific stuff (for example, you could have several different gif files for a logo, a different gif for each "theme").

sitemesh, on the other hand, extracts sections of html out of a source web page and embeds that html in another page. This allows you to build wrappers, or "decorators" for basic content-only oriented web pages (which may contain "theme" specific data).

Comment

I agree. I'm not even sure about the images. It may be just a way to associate a stylesheet with a user.

Comment

I found the same lack of documentation issue and if I didn't find this post I would still be up a creek without a paddle. Thanks for the most excellent post.
            Cheers.

Comment

any help on using themes with velocity? can't find anything on that topic

thanks for any advice
              Tomek

Comment

Working...
              X